another alternator for my car

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
marksoden

another alternator for my car

Post by marksoden »

Well, no doubt I'm getting screwed. One year ago Mazda replaced my alternator because my engine light was coming on and my battery was dying. Five months ago I replaced the battery and the Mass Airflow Sensor (VAF) because the engine light was still coming on and that's what they said the codes were. Engine light STILL coming on and now the battery light comes on. Local mechanic says alternator needs replacing even though the same shop said it was charging fine five months ago when the VAF was replaced. Anyway, I imagine this won't be the end of it...
---------
94 Black MX3 GS Manual
curtklze

Re: another alternator for my car

Post by curtklze »

Hey, sometimes these things happen.<P>I had 99 vw golf come in the shop with the check engine light on.<P>it had 2 codes, MAF, and o2 sensor #1.<BR>I changed the MAF and cleared the codes.<P>2 days later he came back and he was not happy.<P>the light was on again, but the code was for the rear o2 sensor heater circuit.<P>I put in a universal o2,(vw couldnt get one for 2 days) cleared the codes.<P>Light came back on, this time it was rear o2 low voltage,(never use universal o2 sensors!)<P>I got a o2 from vw installed it and cleard the code.<P>Now every thins fine, no more light.<BR>the o2 sensor #1 code never happend again ater changing the MAF sensor.<P>Just because you fixed one part it dosent mean that another part cant brake 2 days later or that the new part wasnt defective.<P>also, alternators are rebuild not brand new,<BR>most only come with a 1 year warrante and I have seen many rebuilt alts. fail after 9-18<BR>months. Its not the norm but it dose happen<P><BR>the best thing to do is find a shop you can trust. My customer was very understanding after I showed him that the codes we different and needed different solutions.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
marksoden

Post by marksoden »

Thanks Curt...I think the next engine light that comes on, I'm bringing my MX3 to Woodbridge...I forgot to mention that during the last year the oxygen sensor and temp sensor were also replaced while the shop tried to troubleshoot the error codes. Funny enough at one point (after replacing my alternator 14 months ago) mazda (lakeshore east) said the error codes were unreadable and they couldn't be sure they would be replacing the right parts. Haven't been back since.
---------
94 Black MX3 GS Manual
jrs1874

Post by jrs1874 »

Autozone will test some of that stuff for free. That would be a good place to get an unbiased answer.
Jason
marksoden

Post by marksoden »

Just picked up my baby at the local shop. New water pump, alternator belt, alternator. $480. ouch. But no engine light the whole drive home...when mazda replaced my alternator a year ago, the engine light was back on within 2 minutes...hmmmm and they told me everything was fine. How can I love my car so much when I hate the Mazda repair shops so much? While I'm griping...it would be nice if Mazda updated the "for owners" part of their website...it's only been a year.
---------
94 Black MX3 GS Manual
marksoden

Post by marksoden »

Engine light back on. I still hate the mazda repair shop. But now I hate the local repair shop too. Anyone know a place that can fix cars?
---------
94 Black MX3 GS Manual

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”