underdrive pulley

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdamxstyle

underdrive pulley

Post by mazdamxstyle »

does an underdrive pulley give hp? also what does it do and how hard is it to install? i know some about engines just havnt worked on them much. also just wondering if anyone has made the 1.8 liter engine fast? i want to save up for the klze but its so hard to.
1993 Mazda mx-3 GS - Blaze Red (Totaled) Went through an 89 rx7 and a 93 del sol. Now searching again!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mxmisl
pelado

Re: underdrive pulley

Post by pelado »

The UDP doesn't give HP as much as it causes less to be used driving accessories, the accessories turn at lower rpm and thus eat up less HP. I'd get an experienced friend to help you with the install. Search on this board for more info.<P>The most I've heard of someone getting out of a normally aspirated 1.8L V-6 was about 135 whp, probably about 150-160 HP at the flywheel.<P>Hot rodding is not cheap with fuel injected engines and it damn sure isn't as cheap as it used to be with anything else.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Dizzy484

Re: underdrive pulley

Post by Dizzy484 »

I bought the Unorthodox Racing UDP, and to tell you the truth there wasn't much of a difference that you could tell. I did notice that with the A/C cranked I didn't bog down as bad... I think that the $200 could be spent on something more worth horsepower.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”