no problems with high idle ? anybody

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fuzzyboy

no problems with high idle ? anybody

Post by fuzzyboy »

i'm really surprised that nobody has this <BR>problem in the summer time when it's hot out<BR>and the reves just go past 1000 rpms.<P>it almost feels the trottle is sticking ?<BR> :mad:
fuzzy red mx-3
Norm

Re: no problems with high idle ? anybody

Post by Norm »

This happened to me about 6 months ago. If you are using a stock intake you should check for leaks or cracks in the plastic. If you are using an aftermarket kit make sure all your clamps are good and tight. What happens is you get a vacuum leak and the ECU tries to compensate for the low vacuum by speeding up the idle. If you leave it be, your car will eventually start bucking and lunging like a wild animal!! I put a new intake hose on mine to replace the stock one - problem solved!
endocyc

Post by endocyc »

Hey Fuzzy sorry it took me so long to reply to this add, I have had the same problem with my mx-3 last year. when I asked this forum I got replies like this guy above me, check for cracks and leaks and bla bla bla. Now I am not saying that it wont/couldnt and will not be a crack or leak but for me this forum was no help. <BR> THE PROBLEM I HAD - This only happened when my car was at normal operating temperature and most often occurred when sitting in traffic. My idle would gradually incline 1000, 1250, 1500, 2000 and so on and would only come back down once I have been moving for a few minutes at around 50klm at least. Once my idle hit 4000 and this was the last time, I really had to fix this problem before I blew my engine.<BR> THE PROBLEM I FOUND- Once my car started to idle high I pulled over and opened the hood, with the car still running high I reached down and twisted my throttle back to its idle position and the idle dropped immediately. All this time its been my throttle sticking. <BR> THE CURE- Remove the air induct and with a tooth brush and some cleaners clean the s--- out of the throttle body. Mine was some dirty and now it is not. My idle is back and my runaway is cured. <BR> I am not saying this is your problem but it was mine and I hope it helps.
Norm

Post by Norm »

Hey endocyc<P>Just so you know, it was just after I cleaned the s--- out of my throttle body that this problem happened. Seems that the crack was caused as a result of me taking the hose off to get at the throttle body to clean it. The car was running fine before but not after I cleaned it. Hard to know what the real problem is without driving Fuzzy's car.
Droopy

Post by Droopy »

I dont know if my problems the same as yall's but when it hot outside my GS will raise up to about 1200 at idle "BUT" if you take your foot and pull back on the gas pedel it will drop back down....Just a thought try it out....
ZooM..ZooM..ZooM..
fuzzyboy

Post by fuzzyboy »

hey guys <P>i really apreciate all the feed back and i have probable learned more about my car with this forum than any where else.<P>i just replaced my flexy part intake and i'm going to scrub the s--- out off my trottle next.it true ya really need to now the problem by actually driving it,it's hard to explain some problems.<BR> :)
fuzzy red mx-3
klp834

Post by klp834 »

Droopy mine does the same thing. I put my foot behind the gas pedal and it goes back to normal. Is this the throttle sticking?<P>Kelly<BR>93RedBlueYellowGS
fuzzyboy

Post by fuzzyboy »

ya know what i did and until it gets really<BR>hot out i used white grease and my son's <BR>paint brush and greased the s--- out of the<BR>linkage,so hopefully this will help.<P> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
fuzzy red mx-3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”