Half way through my KL-ZE swap.....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93 mx-3 gs/se

Half way through my KL-ZE swap.....

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

Well, I have ripped all traces of the automatic out of my car just about and I have installed the clutch pedal box. I swapped in the five speed wiring harness from the ECU into and through the firewall into the engine bay. BTW, does anyone know what the "CLUTCH CUT SWITCH" does? I looked in the shop manual and found nothing. I have my old 1.8 motor out still attached to the auto tranny. I got my ACT clutch today, but they sent me the clutch kit for a mazda 323! :cool:<P>EDIT: Take a look at this pic, this is what I am talking about when I say I want to drill and thread a hole for the sensor. Is that the best way to do it, I don't want to take the whole assembly off of both motors and swap them. (not my parts in the pic) anyway, just thought this pic would clarify what I am talking about.<P> Image<p>[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: 93 mx-3 gs/se ]
David Coleman

Re: Half way through my KL-ZE swap.....

Post by David Coleman »

Yeah, on ACT's site it's pretty clear that the Z33 clutch set is for the 1.6L. I am running the Z62 and it works great.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
pelado

Post by pelado »

The place where you talk of drilling and tapping looks logical to me. Looks like the parts are the same, just the JDM version doesn't get drilled and tapped at the factory. Judging from your questions, I assume the water necks will not interchange.<P>The clutch switch is for the starter circuit I believe. You won't engage the starter unless the clutch is fully depressed.<p>[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: pelado ]
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

I was talking about the "clutch <B>CUT</B>switch" there is a difference. The clutch switch is what will keep the car from starting. I don't know what the clutch CUT switch does. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <P>To everyone who has installed as KL-ZE, what did you do about that sensor that I am planning on drilling a hole for. Did you swap the whole part that it was attached to or did you drill a hole for it?<P>UPDATE: the sensor that I am wanting to swap is called the "ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR (ELECTRIC COOLING FAN)" What would happen if I didn't swap it?<p>[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: 93 mx-3 gs/se ]
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

just a thought but perhaps the clutch cut switch is for the cruise control. when you press in the clutch while on cruise it will turn it off like when you hit the brakes. :roll:
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 93 mx-3 gs/se:<BR><STRONG>I was talking about the "clutch <B>CUT</B>switch" there is a difference. The clutch switch is what will keep the car from starting. I don't know what the clutch CUT switch does. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <P>To everyone who has installed as KL-ZE, what did you do about that sensor that I am planning on drilling a hole for. Did you swap the whole part that it was attached to or did you drill a hole for it?<P>UPDATE: the sensor that I am wanting to swap is called the "ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR (ELECTRIC COOLING FAN)" What would happen if I didn't swap it?<P>[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: 93 mx-3 gs/se ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I didn't swap over that sensor at all and my fan comes on when it's supposed to. As a matter of fact, I didn't swap over any sensors from the K8 to my KL-ZE and everythings running fine, except for it stalling here and there under load, but I think that's because I don't have my idle air control fine tuned yet with the reprogrammed ecu.
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

KNOCKOUT: What did you do about the knock sensor since the kl-ze knock sensor has one wire and is on the throttle body side and the k8 has it on the opposite side and there are two wires going to it?
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

92mxgs: i just did the engine swap for my mx3. i got a 97 kl03 from 626, and had the same problems. what i did is swap that coolant filler neck, they ARE identical, also had to rewire that knock sensor.<BR>good luck, and let us know how it goes
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

Vlad: could you explain in detail to me how you chose to rewire the knock sensor? Thanks.
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

it was coming out from the transmission side right?<BR>i gotta ask my mechanic who did that for me, iam not sure if it had 1 wire, or 2.<BR>yours has only 1 , so maybe u can just swap over the sensor
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 93 mx-3 gs/se:<BR><STRONG>KNOCKOUT: What did you do about the knock sensor since the kl-ze knock sensor has one wire and is on the throttle body side and the k8 has it on the opposite side and there are two wires going to it?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Hmm, let me check tonight and see exactly what I did, so that I don't miss-inform you. But, I think all I did was extend the wiring harness so that it would reach the sensor on the ZE.
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 93 mx-3 gs/se:<BR>[QB]I was talking about the "clutch <B>CUT</B>switch" there is a difference. The clutch switch is what will keep the car from starting. I don't know what the clutch CUT switch does. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Where is this clutch CUT switch located?<P>The only reference I could find (other than the starting circuit) is in the "Fuel-Cut Control System." Apparently this circuit de-energizes the fuel injectors when neutral is selected, the clutch is depressed, or the TPS indicates rapid closure. This is the same system that imposes a 7500 rpm rev limit.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

PELADO: The Clutch Cut switch is located on the upper part of the clutch pedal box on the driver side, as you push the clutch pedal in. it pushes a plastic rod into a little sensor like box.
vseved

Post by vseved »

The clutch switch has the same functions as the neutral gear switch. It lowers the fuel pressure a bit when the car is in neutral or the clutch is depressed.<P>this is in the online manual:<P> Image
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

i just t00k a 1/4 in. pipe thread and tapped the neck on the klze you will see there is a flat place there and it plugs back up which is great
65 shot > V8

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”