doing the TB..what else should I do?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
MX-3 Lover

doing the TB..what else should I do?

Post by MX-3 Lover »

Okay, I'm doing the timing belt next friday (march break) and at the same time I'm doing the water pump, and idler pulleys. Anything else I should do while I have the motor open?<p>Thanks
Mat
kuruption1983

Re: doing the TB..what else should I do?

Post by kuruption1983 »

supz bro,,,
i have no suggestion cuz i dunno anytin about engines,,,
but could you tell me how much this guy is charging for the job, cuz i am looking to change my power steering pump since the steering is so stiff on my other car,,,
and also, where is this guy located,,,
will appreciate your reply :D
MX-3 Lover

Post by MX-3 Lover »

Actually it's costing me nothing. Reason being is because he bought my old CRX (thank god it's off my hands) for $200 and he's doing the job for nothing.
However, he works at Canadian Tire In Oshawa here, but has his own shop with full lifts and everything. He gets you the parts at cost and a little fee for his service. I know you may not think much of a mechanic that wiorks at Canadian Tire but he's built a nice little Lotus Esprit a nice turbo Rx-7 and working on an all-wheel drive S-10 turbo (I believe). I could find out how much he'd do it for. (labour cost) then you'd have to factor in the parts that he's using. He does it way cheaper. Ex: got some brakes done for 250 total. that was labour, front rotors and pads on my honda.
So If you want me to ask hime, send me some mail with exactly what you want done.
My e-mail is: Matdallaire@rogers.com
MX-3 Lover

Post by MX-3 Lover »

sorry double post<p>[ March 04, 2003: Message edited by: MX-3 Lover ]</p>
laboiler

Post by laboiler »

$250.00 for a frontbrake job? Wow did he do alright! In my shop we charge $22.00 for pads, about $27.00 for each rotor, or we turn them on the lathe for $10.00 each. Our labour is $35.00/hour, and a front brake job would not take more than 1 1/2 hours.
So 22
+54
+52.50
=128.50 plus tax 15% in NS
=147.78
And that is assuming your rotors were shot and the brakes were a total mess and needed an extra 1/2 hour to do. How much does this guy charge for labour? How much of a break did he give you on parts??????
Shop around man or learn to do this stuff yourself. You'll have tons of money left to do the mods you really want.
I know that some stuff (labour) is more expensive in upper Canada but...does your A$$ still hurt? :roll:
...does not play well with others.
MX-3 Lover

Post by MX-3 Lover »

well he did do some other stuff too. sorry, forgot about the CV boot and some other misc items.<p>Mat
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i would do the clutch......
you have the motor apart
jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by laboiler:
In my shop we charge $22.00 for pads, about $27.00 for each rotor, or we turn them on the lathe for $10.00 each. <hr></blockquote><p>
what kind of rotors do you put on plastic?
new rotors cost more than $27.00 so your shop must be losing money.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MX-3 Lover:
Okay, I'm doing the timing belt next friday (march break) and at the same time I'm doing the water pump, and idler pulleys. Anything else I should do while I have the motor open?<p>Thanks
Mat
<hr></blockquote>
Might want to do the valve cover gasket and the cam seals. Other than that I can't think of anything else.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by laboiler:
Our labour is $35.00/hour, and a front brake job would not take more than 1 1/2 hours.
So 22
+54
+52.50
=128.50 plus tax 15% in NS
=147.78
<hr></blockquote><p>dude your in nova scotia....need I say more. <p>In the GTA thats a pritty good price, the average canadian tire door rate is $68.00/hr -$78.00/h, even the cheap shops charge like $55-65.00/hr.<p>when I started in this business in 1994 the door rate at the small shop where I worked was $49.95, now most G.M. dealers are $89.95-96.95<p>and my BMW dealer where I work charges 99.00/hr. front brakes are about $450.00 including pads and rotors.<p>(REMOVED)<p>[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]</p>
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
red-mx3

Post by red-mx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kurrky93SE:
To monty who suggested doing the clutch, its on the other side of the engine from the timing belt if we are discussing a V6. Please pray or hope that you do not have internal head damage to your motor as these engines are interference type, a broken timing belt on my K8 V6 prompted me to swap to a 2.5L V6 as I had valve damage on cylinder #5 Good luck<hr></blockquote><p>I don't think his timing belt broke, it's preventive maintenance he's doing, so no worries over engine damage....
mattster

Post by mattster »

the clutch is on the other side of the engine bay so don't get that done. i would suggest the timeing belt and the other belt too... the alternator one.
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
MX-3 Lover

Post by MX-3 Lover »

Woa guys, I didn't want to start any fights or anything. Ya the Timing belt never broke but that engine is not interference. I've checked multiple websites as well as calling mazda. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'll do it anyways.<p>I also need to get the idler pulleys done too since they are squealing like mad.<p>Thanks
Mat
laboiler

Post by laboiler »

Hey Johnnyb, the rotors priced were for a 91 Civic. That's what he had work done on, and they were the "economy" price bracket. They are 27.00 each, but that is my cost. Retail is 20%-50% markup depending on the shop. I use 25% on brake parts so you could add $6.50/ per rotor, my mistake. The dealer will want to stretch your orifice a little harder though. :)
...does not play well with others.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”