HELP!! Belts making noise.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Doreago

HELP!! Belts making noise.

Post by Doreago »

I just recently got 2 belts changed by a Mazda dealership, the alternator belt and the drive train belt (i think). Anyway now my belts are making noise and I am losing power while they make noise. I heard that sometimes when you get a new belt installed that it needs to be tightened again. is this true? Any ideas on what this problem may be or which belt it is? BTW, it doesn't lose all power when it makes noise, but I noticed that the heater will lose about half its power. Please help me out!! :)
Bri94GS

Re: HELP!! Belts making noise.

Post by Bri94GS »

yup..i'd go back and have them tighten the belts...and make sure they didn't mess up the pulleys that the belts go on
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
mfides

Post by mfides »

I had the same problem just after changing my timing belt. That more than a year ago and since then i have had to live with the noise. Sometimes its more audible and maybe i lose a small amount of torque but i am not sure of the cause of the problem.<BR>I still go to the same service shop which if an official mazda dealer and they say the problem is in the cams or hlas not running compkletely smooth. they also checked the timing belt tensioner and is ok.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

You can tighten the pulley yourself with a 10mm socket and about 27 seconds. It's your accessory belts squeaking. There's one idler pulley on the top and one on the bottom. See Section B2 in the online shop manual for more detailed diagrams. Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosie.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Doreago

Post by Doreago »

Thanks Dave. I will check that out today.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”