1.8 -vs- 2.5 ECU on a KL-ZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
KNOCKOUT

1.8 -vs- 2.5 ECU on a KL-ZE

Post by KNOCKOUT »

From which model (MX-6, Probe, etc) 2.5 ECU should I use with the KL-ZE and is it a direct "plug-n-play"? Meaning, is it a direct swap in that the same wiring harness connection is used from the current 1.8ecu to the 2.5ecu?<P>I should be ready to finally attempt to start my MX-3 w/KL-ZE installed by early next week....still waiting for the MS8 manifold to arrive. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
Mradio

Re: 1.8 -vs- 2.5 ECU on a KL-ZE

Post by Mradio »

hey man, here is a question for you,<BR>how does a 2.5 ECU look like, cause I asked a guy from a junk yard to get it for me, and it looks too small, do u have a picture of it by any chance?<BR>thanks
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

Actually, yes, it is small. All it is is just an integrated circuit board with a cover over it to protect it.<P>I haven't actually physically looked at mine but it should be somewhere behind your glove compartment. Sorry, no pics though.
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
white fish

Post by white fish »

use the 2.5 for sure I hear the 94 probe ECU is better something about the air temp thing being different<BR>but if you can aford it send it to corksport and get it reprogramed for the ZE<P>Yes its "plug-n-play" you just have to transfer a relay over you will see what I'm talking about when you look at it<P>Size is 7" by 7" by 1"1/2 thick silver box with the plug on one side thats bright greenieyellow<P>its located between the driver and passangers feet
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

I swapped in (and out) a '94 PGT ECU after my ZE swap. I bought the '94 ECU specifically because I already had the VAF from a '94PGT. I heard that the '94 had larger injectors, so I went with that. I really didn't notice any significant differences between the 1.8 and 2.5 ECU's. It did seem like the VRIS points were more subtle with the 1.8, but I didn't get a chance to dyno the car with each computer in there.<P>As far as installation, the 2.5 box will plug right in. There were difference mounting brackets on the one I bought, but I just swapped the brackets from the 1.8 box.<P>Hope this helps. :D<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KNOCKOUT:<BR><STRONG>From which model (MX-6, Probe, etc) 2.5 ECU should I use with the KL-ZE and is it a direct "plug-n-play"? Meaning, is it a direct swap in that the same wiring harness connection is used from the current 1.8ecu to the 2.5ecu?<P>I should be ready to finally attempt to start my MX-3 w/KL-ZE installed by early next week....still waiting for the MS8 manifold to arrive. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
mx3gsr

Post by mx3gsr »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vlad:<BR><STRONG>hey man, here is a question for you,<BR>how does a 2.5 ECU look like, cause I asked a guy from a junk yard to get it for me, and it looks too small, do u have a picture of it by any chance?<BR>thanks</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The 2.5L ECU like somebody else mentioned is about 7"x7" and can be identified by a big stick that says "KL" and then two numbers. KL is the block code for the 2.5L. If it says K8 that's 1.8L, or KF for the 2.0L.
1992 MX-3 GS-R 2.5L Turbo - retired 2001 :(
13.8@107mph

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”