Buying a V-6 or Automatic

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
OASIS

Buying a V-6 or Automatic

Post by OASIS »

Hi Everyone! I am thinking about purchasing a 1993 GS with a automatic (now I know you all want to beat the crap out of me, but my girlfriend has to drive it as well) and was wondering what I should look for. I have noticed that many of the cars I see have very little visible rust. Is there somewhere that I shoud check that is more hidden? Also, I have recently driven a V-6 with a standard. It was not as powerful as my Si, but that could be due to the fact that it had 200,000KM on it. How much does the automatic suck of the power band? Are there any specific notorious problem areas for all Precidia's? (Brakes, exhuast, etc.) Any and all information would be greatly welcomed.<BR>Thanks all!
Esper

Re: Buying a V-6 or Automatic

Post by Esper »

the auto's aren't that bad (boo, hiss) b/c of the "hold" funtion--you can shift like a BMW steptronic. i do that all the time now, i can't stand the full-auto mode. anyway, one of the more common problems on this car are the distributors. they have a tendency to just fail at random times. prices vary, but never pay more than $300 for one. this could happen pretty much anytime, as far as i understand--mine went at 55k miles. beyond that, i'm not aware of anything. happy hunting!
Dude.
Q187

Post by Q187 »

I have an GS auto too....I have a newly rebuilt tranny and a brand new clutch. It kicks into gear really hard and actually jerks the car forward. I do wish it was a standard...but I still like it.<P>Esper - So does the hold botton really help with acceleration? I use it sometimes but never really thought much of it. Is it ok for the car to use it a lot?
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

hey man, how can your automatic transmission have a brand new clutch? it should have a torque converter. :cool:
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
EvilSandon

Post by EvilSandon »

If MX3 autos are anything like the PGT autos(cooling wise), an aftermarket transmission cooler would be very helpful. I ran a hayden 404 cooler on my PGT automatic...nevr overheated the fluid...even when the trans started to go. This resulted in less clutch damage actually :) Only the clutches that got hit with shreads of metal got smoked...the rest were fine. <P>Regular fluid and filter changes rule too :)
§åñÐøñ £€††ï€rï<BR>†hå† §øçîå£ï§† KïÐ<BR><I>1993 Prø߀ G†-K£Z€</I><BR><B>§ø Måñ¥ MøЧ Ï ƒørg€† H壃 øƒ †h€m</B>
Esper

Post by Esper »

i don't know if it acutally makes the car faster, but i can shift later and downshift when i want to, so i can drive faster overall. it doesn't do too much in a straight line but when i'm going around corners i can stay in a lower gear. play with it and see what you think. as far as tranny coolers: gimme gimme gimme! where'd you get one? i've heard about them on PT but i never did the research on finding one. my auto shifts hard down and up from first, althought the rest of gears are fine. i'm still trying to find ways to smooth it out. also, what is involved in changing the tranny fluid? i don't feel like paying $100+ to get it done. thanks.<p>[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Esper ]
Dude.
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

what is the capiblity of the b6t
I am looking into a way to put turbo under the hood and will let you all know how where as soon as I find out
finchuck

Post by finchuck »

Be careful with the transmission. Mazda automatic trannies are poorly built and are notorious for crapping out. I've known so many people with problems, including myself (full $1,200 rebuild at 30,000 miles!!!). In addition, I think all auto MX-3's have a hard shift from 1st to second, lord knows why but sometimes it's so extreme that it skips CD's! I'd steer clear of the auto MX-3.
<A HREF="http://www.finchuck.com" TARGET=_blank>Finchuck Online</A>
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

I love my auto, however, it does kick into 2nd from 1st. This usually happens early in the morning and it becomes smoother as the car warms up nicely later in the day. I have kicked several si asses in the past and I just floor it and downshift with the hold if I want to rip it up. :cool:
hi
finchuck

Post by finchuck »

i heard that using the hold is quite bad for your tranny but i may be wrong. in addition, if you thought the 5speed V6 was sluggish that you'll be quite disappointed with the auto.
<A HREF="http://www.finchuck.com" TARGET=_blank>Finchuck Online</A>
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

have you thought about teaching your girl how to drive a manual?
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:<BR><STRONG>have you thought about teaching your girl how to drive a manual?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>BINGO!!!!! i was gonna post this as well.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
SugarOnTheAsphalt

Post by SugarOnTheAsphalt »

most girls dont know how to drive a stick (i am a girl), hell, a lot of men these days dont know how either... teach her to drive a manual, youll both be glad ^_^ my crx and my mx3 are both 5 speeds and theyre much more fun to drive than autos. plus, chances are youll have less trouble with your tranny if its a 5 speed
Image<BR> <A HREF="http://www.kidavi.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.kidavi.com</A>
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by finchuck:<BR><STRONG>i heard that using the hold is quite bad for your tranny but i may be wrong. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Finchuck is right but it depends on HOW you use it. If you use it properly and shift just before the redline then you're fine but if you like to put it to the limits and shift in the redline 7-8,000 rpms then you are just hurting your oh so crappy auto tranny already.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A.S.:<BR><STRONG>I have kicked several si asses in the past and I just floor it and downshift with the hold if I want to rip it up.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Downshifting with the hold ON will do absolutely NOTHING but hold the transmission in its gear! That's the whole purpose of the hold button. :roll: What you probably mean is downshifting with the hold button off so it'll switch to a lower gear then press the hold again. Just wanted to make this clear for people who fiddle with their hold button.
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
Q187

Post by Q187 »

What do you mean Rich? You can leave the Hold botton on, drop it, and it will still downshift.....maybe i'm not reading your post right.<p>[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Q187 ]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”