please respond ASAP about KL-ZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mrprecidia

please respond ASAP about KL-ZE

Post by mrprecidia »

I heard on this message board that there is a code stamped on the engine by the the intake runners. Mine says KL3NAI can anyone tell me if it is a KL-ZE or not. Thankyou in advance.
You can just call me the originator
Sonic

Re: please respond ASAP about KL-ZE

Post by Sonic »

I just read another post with this same thing. I just find it so funny that you guys actully buy engines from a place that may not be selling you the correct thing. If there was question if it was real then why would you buy it in the first place? ALOT of the engine importers don't even know if it's a KLD or a KL_ZE. I know of this one place in Cali I think that sells KL engines. Meaning they sell 2.5L's from Japan. Which can be a KLD or a KL_ZE. They don't know anything about Mazda engines so they just sell it off with a vauge discription. You guys should really do some research on a company before you buy from them. Just my thought. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <P>The differences have been posted a million times. Pull your manifold. Best way to tell.
~SonicRacing~
mrprecidia

Post by mrprecidia »

I did buy my KL-ZE from a supposed reputable dealer. I got it from A-spec the only reason I am questioning whether it is the correct engine or not is because everyone who has done the swap into an mx-3 reports 14 secont time slips at the track. I ran a 15.7 of course that is well above sea level as I am in Canada, but that still should not represent a 1.7 diffrence. And also if I pay for somthing I want what I paid for. And it could also just be the state of tune, but I would rather figure out if it is the correct engine before I go putting more money into it.
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

You should be able to trust a place like A-spec. No problem. You should see mid 14's in a heavy azz Probe no problem with a ZE. 15.7? Do you know how drive good? Where do you launch and shift at? What times did you get before the swap with the K8? 15.7 is like the worst time I've got with my stock Probe. That says something more about your driving or something wrong with your car then the wrong enine. Low 15's should even be able to be hit with just a US KL in an MX-3. (saying that everything is running corect for the most part)<P>What manifold do you have? Did you get an actual Eunos 800 engine?<p>[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Sonic ]
~SonicRacing~
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

Also, what kind of trap speeds are you getting?
~SonicRacing~
mrprecidia

Post by mrprecidia »

yes i am preety sure I can trust a company like a-spec too but I don't believe I am that shity of a driver I guess it's possible but I don't think I am. I ussualy launch at about 3500 rpm I experience verry little wheel spin and i shift at about 6800 rmpm in every gear i am also using the ms8 manifold. I dont know what my car was running stock because I never took it out stock. my trap speed is about 90 mph. and i don't know if i have the correct engine thats why I am asking these questions that everyone on this site has heard 100000000 times.
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

The MS-8 and MX-6 are the same manifold. You mean Eunos 800...?<P>90trap speed! I've hit that ONE time only. And that was on my 15.3 run. Shift points seem ok. you may be launching a bit high. You may be spinning more than you think. What tires do you have? I launch VERY low. But don't dump the clutch either. I've got a nice launch really. Wheel spin, yes. Not much though. Some is good.<P>Stock exhaust? You may have something that is just totally holding you back. Hmm. Something is not right. An ok driver should be able to pull off about a second faster than what you are running like I said before.<P>Hell, I know a guy in MD that ran a 14.5 with a heavy azz Probe show car w/ drag radials (I think).<P>I think others need to post thier KLD and KL_ZE powered MX-3 times.... And try to help dyignos(sp?) your problems.
~SonicRacing~
mrprecidia

Post by mrprecidia »

I have bridgestone potenza re910's there 17's. my friends who were watching from the bleachers said i looked slow as hell coming out of the start but then i was smoking after like 60 ft. so i guess it probaly is just the start. also when i last ran my car had the check engine light on and my mecahanic said that the car may be running in safe mode. so we will se what I run next year with all of these problems are looked after.
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

man i dunno, you mighta got screwed, you should pop ur cam covers off and check the code on your cam. cause even if u do have a terrible hole shot, you still shouldnt run 15.7s at 90mph, cause there are SOME 1.8l mx-3s that are capable of that.. i think u got a BAD kld-03. or its horribly out of tune
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
DriversClub

Post by DriversClub »

I also agree you should pop the cam covers, take the time to make sure you got what you paid for. I race at 7,000ft abv sea level and couldn't run 15.7 on a bad day with my ZE. How does the engine sound as you rev it out? Maybe you bought a KL_ZE that really needs some help or something?<BR>DriversClub
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

even with an out of turn kld-03 u shouldnt run that slow, they;re supposed to run 15'3's stock. according to carstats
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 93mxrgs:<BR><STRONG>even with an out of turn kld-03 u shouldnt run that slow, they;re supposed to run 15'3's stock. according to carstats</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>An MX-3 1.8L!!!!? That's a joke. They run like 16's stock I think.
~SonicRacing~
ProGTR

Post by ProGTR »

A stock 03 motor in a mx-3 nothing else done should get you a low 15 easy as I've seen this first hand.<P>The 17's are really hurting your times. Stock mx rims are 15's right? Try putting your stock rims on the front next time you take you car to the track.<P>Did the Euno's 800 manifold come with the motor? or put on after?<P>What computer are you running? Still using the stock 1.8ECU? All this has an effect on performance and really should be looked at before thinking the motor is not the right one.<P>As for it not being a ZE, some Jap Euno 800 motor's were not rated at 200HP and came with 03 cams and heads. Manifold's also looked like the runner's were square but as ended with 03 oval port's.<P>97 Plus 626 motor's are like this also
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

ProGTR, the funny thing is I have a 2,900lb Probe <B>WITH</B> 17's and have run a low 15 w/stock motor for the most part. Then again, I'm racing at 500'.<P>A KLD'd MX3 should be able to hit a super low 15, if not 14 I would imagine. I'd be pissed if I did not.<P>Then again I expect alot from cars. Here's a laugh for you guys. I want a 13.999 next year w/ an NA ZE. ;) (slicks of course)
~SonicRacing~
mrprecidia

Post by mrprecidia »

The computer has been reprogramed to KL-ZE specs. The manifold I bought after. And if I do pop off the valve cover what should I look for? I have a picture because I took the covers off when I bought it to polish the valve covers. The intake runners are square like the ones on the KL-ZE.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”