Has anyone done a automatic -> manual swap?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93 mx-3 gs/se

Has anyone done a automatic -> manual swap?

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

Hello, I have a 93 Mx-3 GS Special Edition with only 37,000 miles. I want to keep it and I really like it, the only thing is, it's an automatic, and if I'm gonna put money into the car, I want it to be stick. So I was thinking about a transmission swap. I have a parts car mx-3 gs se that has all the parts I would need ( it's a stick.) I was wondering how much trouble it would be and if anyone on here has done it. I can see some things getting complicated, ( dropping in a clutch pedal, wiring harnesses ) anyway, any input you might have on this would be appreciated, thanks!
apex'iMx3

Re: Has anyone done a automatic -> manual swap?

Post by apex'iMx3 »

sorry to tell you this, but a tranny swap with clutch set up and all of the pains you have to go through, your lookin at a nice sum of money..probably around 1500...is it worth it?? i would go and find a nice GS or SE with a manual for about 3000-4500...if you try it, i would like to know how it turns out
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Esper

Post by Esper »

Apexi--he's already got the part's he'd need, so its not gonna cost him very much at all from here on out. as far as the workload, just make sure you have enough time, tools, and friends. your car is already set up to accept either an auto or a stick, so the swap probably won't be that hard. just don't expect to do it in an afternoon or anything.
Dude.
Esper

Post by Esper »

no...it was an example of a person who put a turbo on his car and the auto didn't hold up. it was probably the combination of the turbo and his driving style. no, its not a very good idea, but you can do it.
Dude.
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

Yes, this can be done. No, its not terribly difficult.. it reallllly helps if youre mechanically and electrically inclined. and on that site that was referenced, there is an easy fix for the blinking hold light. i found it :) just run 12v into the wire that runs to the hold light in the gauge cluster. anyways... I did the swap.. nothing terribly difficult about it.. its a great idea to have extra axle seals, new clutch, and all that good stuff thats easy to replace when the tranny is out available.. if you need any parts for this, i have 2 GS mx-3's I'm parting out (one being the one I did the swap on, the other I took the parts from).. let me know... <BR>and I dont know if his site mentioned it or not, but you need the spindle (or at least the hub/bearing) from the manual MX-3, along with the driveshafts.<P>george
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

you have to take into consideration that the tranny was MADE to handle the turbo. you can't compare that to a mx-3 auto with a turbo added on.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

ya most definetly, there is a huge friggin diff between a supra tranny and a mx-3 tranny, mx3 autos are notoriously pieces of s---, sorry but they are, i would NOT recomend put turbo, supercharger, or even nos, with out changin 2 a 5 spd, it would just be 2 hard on that lil trans
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
KWK MX3

Post by KWK MX3 »

by the time i went through my third (yes third) auto tranny i swapped it to manual.<BR>Well not me, A-Spec in Toronto along with a KLO3 2.5l swap. Its worth it rather than spending money on batman spoilers, indiglo washers, or other crap like that.
KWK MX3
EvilSandon

Post by EvilSandon »

Transmission swaps aren't too terribly difficult. I've done an ATX---->MTX swap on my Probe(though I'm going back to ATX this spring).<P>I don't see the MX3 being harder.<P>Also, y'all mention the MX3 trannies being crap. Has anyone run a larger transmission fluid cooler? PGT transmissions have a similar rep. however the addition of a cooler has helped change some of that reputation....
§åñÐøñ £€††ï€rï<BR>†hå† §øçîå£ï§† KïÐ<BR><I>1993 Prø߀ G†-K£Z€</I><BR><B>§ø Måñ¥ MøЧ Ï ƒørg€† H壃 øƒ †h€m</B>

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”