Imagine this, KL-ZE swap ?'s...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
basil_75

Imagine this, KL-ZE swap ?'s...

Post by basil_75 »

I know, it's been covered somewhere at some point in time...yada yada yada. But I never find the exact answer I'm looking for so...<P>Once I order the engine and receive, where exactly am I looking to make sure it's a ZE and what will it say?<BR>Given that I will not want to spend the money to swap to a MTX, What are my options with the ATX (one off a different car, get a rebuild, buy a new one from carparts?)<BR>Who has done the swap on an ATX?<BR>Is there a difference in power if I choose to keep the Intake Manifold from the stock engine?<BR>Lastly, Thank you. I know some of you just hate helping people, but for those who help willingly, I appreciate it.<P>Kevin
George Jefferson= Reason for birth control
KNOCKOUT

Re: Imagine this, KL-ZE swap ?'s...

Post by KNOCKOUT »

There's a few ways to tell if it's a KL-ZE. <BR>1. The intake manifold (the obvious), but don't just go by that.<P>2. By removing the intake manifold, you'll notice that on either side of the valve cover gaskets are some lettering/numbers. If it's a ZE, then it should say KL31-101A or 010A, none-the-less, definately KL31 at least.<P>3. Also, by removing the valve cover itself and by looking on the cams, it should also say KL31.<P>4. I believe somewhere else on the actual block, it will say KL31.....I didn't check mine for that one, cause I was pretty convinced at that point. <P>5. Also, the ports on the head should be sort of rectangular in shape with rounded corners. Compare them to a KL-03 and you'll see the difference. <P>Hope this helps. :)
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
Gabi

Post by Gabi »

Do you know what KL01 means??????<BR>Thanks.
See you in my rear wiew!!
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

Remove the manifold and see if it's got square runners. The back just has a seprate thing casted in that says KL. Which just says it's a Mazda 2.5L V-6. Then under that is a serial number. Which will also not tell you much. Your best bet is to know what a KL_ZE is in the first place. The visual differences between a KL_ZE and a KLD are pretty obvious... Manifold for sure. That is the only engine I've ever seen that comes with that EXACT manifold. There are variations, but if you know what each look like you can easily tell the difference. I have heard of some shady engine importers that take off the front valve cover and clean it up to make it look newer and lower milage. I've also heard of engine importers putting a ZE manifold on a KLD engine and selling it off as a KL_ZE. So your best bet is to remove the manifold and see what the runners look like.<P>Anyway.... have fun! :)
~SonicRacing~
mrprecidia

Post by mrprecidia »

dose anyone have a pic of the KL03 intake runners?
You can just call me the originator
Gabi

Post by Gabi »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrprecidia:<BR><STRONG>dose anyone have a pic of the KL03 intake runners?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Thanks for the info. :)<P><BR>I can take a picture of the KL-ZE runners , if it helps you.
white fish

Post by white fish »

not a great pic but thats a "KL03" in my car second pic down <A HREF="http://dwm76.homestead.com/pic.html" TARGET=_blank>web page</A>
mrprecidia

Post by mrprecidia »

yes that would help alot if you posted a pic of your KL-ZE intake runners. :cool:
You can just call me the originator
Gabi

Post by Gabi »

If you tell me how to do it , I will<BR> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]<p>[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Gabi ]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”