Do these mods work?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Rich MX3

Do these mods work?

Post by Rich MX3 »

I'd been reading about free mods you can do to your car. Banjo Bolt Mod, advanced timing, PRC mod and the throttle body coolant bypass. For those of you who have done these mods, I wanna know which mods are safe to do (if they actually work and increase performance), what kind of improvements you have noticed and what side effects could or have happened. :)
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
Bri94GS

Re: Do these mods work?

Post by Bri94GS »

i've heard the throttle body coolant mod worked...<P>As far as I know, you cannot advance your timing, because the ECU will just retard it back<P><BR>I never heard of the other 2 mods you listed...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

WHAT IN THE HELL IS A BANJO BOLT MOD~!!!. im interested lol sounds like sum hillbilly customizing goin on, on sumthin other than late 80's camaros LOL LOL
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

this is a new reply to an OLD thread but i didn't see any replies so...... the banjo is the piece that bolts from the fuel line into the fuel rail. It looks like a banjo hence it's name. If you remove the bolt that holds it (depressurize fuel lines 1st) you will see 1 big hole at the tip of the bolt and smaller ones around its shaft near the base below the threads. Take a drill and bore out the small holes to match the big hole. I've done it and noticed nothing. Doesn't mean it doesn't work....I currently have a vacuum leak that's playing havoc with everything else so I can't say for sure
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

You can advance the timing belts. When my belt went last year, and my Mech advanced it when installing the new belt. Makes a bit of a difference.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I plan on doing the banjo bolt mod. The theory behind this is that the hole is more restrictive than the fuel rail is. Boring out the banjo bolt will allow more fuel to travel into the fuel rail, hence gaining more HP.
I plan on doing the TB bypass as well, even though I have phenolic spacers. This keeps the intake manifold much cooler because hot coolant isnt travelling into your intake manifold. Cooler air=more HP.<p>Your ECU will retard your timing if you advance it, but you can from what I hear use a resistor to advance it. (thats hear-say) dunno if anyone has)
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

I was thinking, perhaps the coolant that flows to the TB is there to intentionally heat the TB. Once heated, the aluminum TB and brass throttle plate will expand slightly and form a tighter fit when the plate is closed.<p>[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: Hy300 ]</p>
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

The TB is heated to prevent icing in winter. You may not experience it in dry, cold conditions, but in wet cold conditions enough ice could form to stop the engine.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

kind of like this except its not so it can go back to the tank<p>http://www.theoldone.com/articles/regulator/<p>[ May 21, 2003: Message edited by: Steeb ]</p>
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:

I plan on doing the TB bypass as well, even though I have phenolic spacers. This keeps the intake manifold much cooler because hot coolant isnt travelling into your intake manifold. Cooler air=more HP.<p> has)
<hr></blockquote><p>Oh God...I did this the other day and I'm putting it back as soon as I get a chance. My idle is so screwed up now it's not worth the trouble. I think you have to trick the ECU somehow into thinking it's normal cause I idle like a tank and running extremely rich almost immediately after doing it. I hear it works well for some but not me.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”