Intake Question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Redline

Intake Question

Post by Redline »

I am currently looking for an intake for a 1.8, I have been pricing a few different intakes, the weapon R intake seems inexspensive for a quality intake. Is anyone running a Weapon R Dragon Intake? Anyone recommend a different intake? What intake has had the best results on the 1.8?
codyhoover

Re: Intake Question

Post by codyhoover »

the hks super mega flow sounds really cool(it kind growls) but doesnt work really well. the prm intake is faster but lacks the cool sounds. dont know about weapon r sorry. do they make one specificly for mx-3s
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Redline:<BR><STRONG>I am currently looking for an intake for a 1.8, I have been pricing a few different intakes, the weapon R intake seems inexspensive for a quality intake. Is anyone running a Weapon R Dragon Intake? Anyone recommend a different intake? What intake has had the best results on the 1.8?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>hey man i know that Dragon nice..if u get cold air system. I dont know if it will growl(probably every intake does make some kinda of noise) but i know it got a lot of HP
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

Well, <BR>I hate to sound like a broken record...but...<BR>the PRM IS the best intake for the Mx3. It does add a nice roar to the engine even without a sport exhaust...I first installed the PRM with stock exhaust and it sounded sweet. Throaty kinda sound. It has proven to add some torque and some hp....
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
KingFisher

Post by KingFisher »

want a cheap alternative <BR>email me<P>ANDREW* :cool: :cool: :cool:
ANDREW*<BR>1996 Mazda MX-3 GS
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

Have you guys actually heard a PRM or Weapon-R compared to a Home Made CAI? I dunno about you, but I think it sounds pretty similar. <P>The thing is, ANY kind of intake with a cone filter at the end will sound MUCH better than the stock airbox. They will all give you a more aggressive, throaty roar.
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

agreed :) The stock airbox is a peice of garbage...friggin lunch-box looking thing!
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Redline

Post by Redline »

thanks a lot, i will look into the PRM intake. Weapon -R does make a Dragon intake for the MX-3, only the v6 version though, which is good.
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

listen, i have a 92gs and had the weapon r intake, what a expensive piece of trash. they want $160 and u get the filter, a 2" piece of aluminum pipe and the rubber sleaves. i returned, ripped off the stupid airbox, and put on a k&n air filter at the end of the MAS. Sounds awesome and i get better mpg and a noticeable difference in acceleration. thats ur best bet and its only like $50. the next step is to do ram air to it.<P>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
Beargrl614

Post by Beargrl614 »

I have an HKS intake, and I think it makes a good difference. Even my brother commented on how good it sounds, and he hates imports. It was not that expensive, but it doesn't have the "million mile warranty" like a lot of others
V-TEC--JUST SAY NO
Esper

Post by Esper »

"million mile warranty" shouldn't be the selling point of an intake filter. :o :p
Dude.
Justin

Post by Justin »

I have to agree with Dan...K&N is probably the best value for your money...easy and you can do it yourself. Let's face it...any intake in the 1.8 will sound and perform all the same, unless you have a supporting exhaust.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

I got a K&N cone on instead of my airbox. Sounds real nice, and improves acceleration and gas mileage.
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

If you put a filter on your VAF, be it HKS or K&N, you will have a slower car. You might gain 1-2peak hp, but the lost torque and horse power in the lower rpms from sucking in hot enginebay air is killing your performance.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Esper

Post by Esper »

Dave, you forgot how much sound increases horsepower. that throaty roar means its gotta have about 5 more hp and who knows how much torque. combine that with an exhaust and you're looking at like 15hp!<P><choking on my own sarcasm> ;)
Dude.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”