Okay, what's the list of bolt-ons for the 1.8?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Esper

Okay, what's the list of bolt-ons for the 1.8?

Post by Esper »

I'm trying to come up with a definitive list (for the time being anyway) of bolt-ons for the 1.8L K8 V6. Please don't just tell me to get a KL-ZE, if I was gonna do that I wouldn't bother with this post. So. here's my list so far after some minor research.<P>-intake (ram air, cold air, or shielded)<BR>-cat-back exhaust or piping<BR>-high flow catalytic converter<BR>-IAT mod (see probetalk for details)<BR>-lightened pulleys<BR>-lightened flywheel<BR>-Phenolic Spacers<BR>-Cams (who makes them?)<P>That's what i know of off the top of my head.<BR>here's stuff i've got questions about:<P>-headers? i've heard about modifying probe 2.5L headers but how easily is this done? <P>-Throttle body? anyone bolt-on the TB form the KLD or KL-ZE? i'm not talking about boring it, bolt-on only.<P>-Intake Manifold? I know the ZE one fits on the KLD, but what about K8?<P>-Tranny Coolers? there's a lot of info on Probetalk about these, but i've never ehard of them before. Anyone try it on an MX-3? Is it only effective on an Auto?<P>-Injectors? Reading through Almighty Dave's links, injectors have been tried on probes, but i guess without ECU reprogramming they aren't too effective. <P>-ECU (re)programming? (how many of you could tell this was next?) What exactly do superchips and others do, and has anyone tried it? What about Engine Management Systems? or even Apexi AFC's or anything?<P>-Fuel Pump, fuel rail, fuel filters? What was that about corvette oil filters, Dave? what other engines could have systems superior to the K8?<P>-Ignition Boxes? (MSD, ad infinitum) same thing, anyone tried this?<P>-Timing Advance? I know that if you do it mechanically, the ECU will just turn it back, but is there anyway to bypass this without reprogramming the ECU?<P>Then there's the next step, forced induction. NOS is cheap and plentiful, but I'd rather have something that's always there. Supercharges and turbos have been implemented successfully, but at a cost similar to or greater than a ZE swap. i congratulate those who have done it, but that's not the focus of this post. <P>many of you are wondering why i haven't mentioned porting, either the head or manifolds or TB or whatever. The reason is, this is beyond the average DIY-er and many times it is hard to find a shop that you trust to do it for you. maybe another post can be dedicated to this, but i'd like to stick to basic bolt-ons at the moment.<P>I know this is long, but hopefully it gets people thinking. It seems like engine swaps are so easy and satisfying that most people just leave things alone after that. I want more options. If someone did all of this to a K8, they'd probably spend as much or more than they would on an engine swap and maybe not even get as much performance out of it. At least with bolt-ons people can tailor their mods to their goals and budget. This is an open call for everyone to put in suggestions. Frankly, this board is kinda dissapointing. We can't let the Honda guys catch up to us, can we? Let's consider this a declaration of war on all other performance cars!<p>[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: Esper ]
Dude.
Bri94GS

Re: Okay, what's the list of bolt-ons for the 1.8?

Post by Bri94GS »

I know you don't wanna hear this, but with the amount of money it's gonna cost you to make your 1.8L gain that much HP, it's gonna be a lot cheaper to buy a 2.5L....plus 2.5L parts are cheaper, and easier to find
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Esper

Post by Esper »

Yes, I know that. :)
Dude.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

And if Honda's catch up to you, it's time to sell your car ;)<P>Hondas are NOT "performance cars"
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

well i know that the car on prm.com that they sponor is 220 at the wheels with a 1.8 and thats all motor!!!!, but plus isnt there like sumthin kick a-- about makein a smaller motor faster >? I mean like the 2.5 is bad a--, but i just wanna be liek ya stock block, heh heh kicked ur 3.0 vtecs a--. ohh by the way, bullfrog makes the cams. LATER
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

That PRM car belonged to Steve a.k.a. tekguy...he sold it though...he had a 2.5L in there...here's the website for the car..<BR> <A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/tekguy/" TARGET=_blank>http://members.tripod.com/tekguy/</A><P>[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: Bri94GS ]<P>Edited for a mistake...thanks for the correction Dave...<p>[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: Bri94GS ]
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

The last two replies to this topic are full of misinformation.<P><A HREF="http://members.attcanada.ca/~dragon64/" TARGET=_blank>Vaughn Nishimura</A> has a Laguna Blue 2.5L MX-3.<P><A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/tekguy/" TARGET=_blank>Steve "Tekguy"</A> had a Black 96 2.5L MX-3 with 176whp. That is around 220bhp assuming 20% drivetrain losses.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

ahhhhhh my bad bad, there wasnt a lot of info on there, i c what ur sayin, but still thats pretty decent HP outa an mx-3
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

For half the price of the 2.5L A-spec ($1500USD) I've got a new 1.8L engine and pistons and a good machine shop that said the can bore my engine out to 2.2Ls (2.17???Ls). On their computer program they use it estimates 150.1hp with out calculation of the pistons used. I found this to be really inexpensive compared to the HP gain. I'm not to sure what the torque gain is but they promised me it would be impressive.
Esper

Post by Esper »

It seems that the most cost-effective hp upgrade is just a KLD engine from a probe/626/mx-6. boring is a definite option, though. le me know if you try it! :)
Dude.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”