Whats a Glass Pack?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Tyler17rose

Whats a Glass Pack?

Post by Tyler17rose »

The topic says it all.... i'm under the impression its some sort of resonator?
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Whats a Glass Pack?

Post by mitmaks »

its basically long, large diameter muffler for muscle cars, i am probably gonna put pair of em on my bel air in future, check if u have them in ur local parts store, theyre on display in ours, look like long straigh-through pipes usually in red color
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

ahh thanks ! so you wouldnt want to put one of these on a mx3 right? cause it would sound like crap?
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

no, not unless you have 350 blown small block under hood ;) , which i am thinking of doing when i get enough money
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

Hey Mitmaks, when you got your exhaust did u get a custom cat back? if so did u keep your resonator? Should i?
Mods:

quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

a glasspack would sound good on an mx-3 if you had another muffler to back it up.
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

i just got apexi muffler for now, but i wouldnt remove resonator, esp if ur local law enforcement(cops) are a**es, probably would get u ticket for loudness. but get catback exhaust like pacesetter
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

Actually the term "glasspack" refers to a muffler that has fiberglass in it to deaden the sound. If you look at many of the aftermarket mufflers for imports, they have fiberglass in them....that is part of what makes the exhaust sound the way it does.
Jackattack

Post by Jackattack »

hey mitmaks, your apex-i mufler is full of glasspack.
Just about all strait through mufflers are full of fiberglass packing, it is the material inside that deadens the sound, when the hot gas comes through the exhast system it cannot expand due to the metal piping, but when it hits the muffler, it has perforamted walls that allow the gasses to expand into the glasspack and it smooths out the tone of the noise, generaly more glasspack(thicker muffler)= smoother,quieter muffler and less glasspack(thinner muffler) will give a rougher louder sound.<p>just incase you wanted to know.
jack

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”