Fuel filter

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
OverDrive

Fuel filter

Post by OverDrive »

Hi folks. This is my first post on this excellent site, kudos to the admin. <P>I have a '94 MX-3 with the V6/Auto. I would like to replace the fuel filter, but at first glance I can't find where it is, can someone give tell me where to find it?Also, is this a job that can be done without having to take it to a mechanics shop? Thanks.
jojo2k23

Re: Fuel filter

Post by jojo2k23 »

its on the fire wall,it will be clamp to it.
OverDrive

Post by OverDrive »

Thanks for the quick reply jojo2k23. Is it a tough job?
white fish

Post by white fish »

You might have to take off the intake boot to get at it <BR>No its not hard just the rubber hoses might stick a bit in the filter<P>------------------<BR>Clear White 2.5L GSR
OverDrive

Post by OverDrive »

Hey thanks a lot white fish. Much appreciated.
OverDrive

Post by OverDrive »

Well folks, my friend who's a mechanic, tried in vain to locate the fuel filter. We took the intake boot off, checked every spot within sight and no fuel filter to be found.<P>He got underneath the car to try and trace the fuel line to the fuel pump as well hoping to give a better indication of where this elusive fuel filter is. But no luck. He couldn't even find the fuel pump. Image<P>So, what are we doing wrong? Image
white fish

Post by white fish »

First the pump is intank under the the back seat<BR>next I changed mine when I did the engine swap so it was eazer <BR>find it this way<BR>fallow the hose the comes out of the Fuel pressure regulator it dip under the TB if you move some of the antifreeze lines you shoulb be able to see it (round should gold) <P>------------------<BR>Clear White 2.5L GSR
OverDrive

Post by OverDrive »

Thanks. We'll check it out tommorrow.
mazdamaniac

Post by mazdamaniac »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OverDrive:<BR><B>Well folks, my friend who's a mechanic, tried in vain to locate the fuel filter. We took the intake boot off, checked every spot within sight and no fuel filter to be found.<P>He got underneath the car to try and trace the fuel line to the fuel pump as well hoping to give a better indication of where this elusive fuel filter is. But no luck. He couldn't even find the fuel pump. Image<P>So, what are we doing wrong? Image </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>First of all, get a different mechanic. If he can't figure out how to locate the fuel filter on his own I wouldn't trust him to pump my gas - let alone work on my car.<P>Second - don't follow the fuel line from the pressure regulator, that is a return line. You need to follow the line going <I>into</I> the fuel rails. This is the line attached to the <I>back</I> (right) rail and goes straigt to the fuel filter which is bolted to the top of the transmission near the firewall just adjacent to the steering column passage. <P>------------------<BR><B>Jeff Abrams</B><BR> jeff@mazdamaniac.com <P><B>SUPERCHARGED</B> 2.5 liter 1993 Mazda MX-3 GS <BR> <A HREF="http://www.mazdamaniac.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mazdamaniac.com</A> <BR>Normally aspirated 1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata<p>[This message has been edited by mazdamaniac (edited July 23, 2001).]
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Heh. I was just thinking the same thing as I read this thread Jeff Image<P>Fuel filter is bolted to the top of the tranny, probably about 2 inches behind the imaginary line directly downward from the TB.<P>There is a low pressure filter in the tank, but the likely hood that you have a problem there is slim I'd think. <P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><I>Why get clear tail lights when only Geo Metros are gonna see them?</I></B>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
white fish

Post by white fish »

Dave! the one in the tank? does it look like a mesh bag or is there something different in there? <P>------------------<BR>Clear White 2.5L GSR
OverDrive

Post by OverDrive »

Thanks for all the input folks. I guess I fire the mechanic eh! <P>One more newbie question for you. What is the "TB" Image .
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

TB=Throttle Body<P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><I>Why get clear tail lights when only Geo Metros are gonna see them?</I></B>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

OverDrive, make certain to relieve the fuel pressure BEFORE attempting to disconnect the fuel line or you'll be eating[?!], breathing raw gasoline...most hazardous to ones health. PD: check out the online service manual right on this sites' homepage. Good luck. Manny<p>[This message has been edited by mendel00985 (edited July 28, 2001).]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”