Car idling pretty rough and sometimescutting out - any i

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Chnags

Car idling pretty rough and sometimescutting out - any i

Post by Chnags »

Hi,<P>I'm new to this group, so please let me know if I should post this elsewhere.<P>I have a 1993 MX3 GS (1.8 V6), with automatic transmission (I bought it used, so I didn't have the option of going for a manual :-)).<P>Recently, the car started idling pretty rough and eventually started cutting out (which is really bad considering it's an automatic, so it's I can't just rev the engine to keep it alive while at a stop). After taking it to a Mazda dealership to get fixed, they replaced the EGR valve (after getting an EGR error code from the engine control module) and did some general tune-up stuff like new spark plugs, reset timing and so on. Both oil and feul filters are new, oil and transmission fluid were done a month ago and I also had a brand new distributor put in about 6 months ago.<P>But the car still idles pretty rough and I'm worried it's going to start cutting out again. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Is there something else I should have checked like my exhaust system? <P>Any help would be appreciated!
white fish

Re: Car idling pretty rough and sometimescutting out - any i

Post by white fish »

not sure but may be check the intake boot for cracks???<P>------------------<BR>Clear White 2.5L GSR
ecfreal

Post by ecfreal »

i have a 93 gs stock and its starting to act wierd too...my engine light is always on..and at times it isnt on but then it flickers back on...and seems like first gear is weak....not sure if any of u's out there having the same problem?
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me...check all vacuum lines and any post-VAF hoses for cracks, as the stock accordian-style hose tends to crack in the engine heat.<P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><I>Why get clear tail lights when only Geo Metros are gonna see them?</I></B>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
tjubeck

Post by tjubeck »

I had the same problem with my mx and it was a tear in the air intake. They usaully tear on the bottom end. Take the whole thing off and examine it, it is very easy to miss while it is on the engine. Keep in mind that these things are very hard to get and take forever to order from mazda. I think that PRM makes an intake that replaces it but you might want to double check that.<P>
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Home Depot has 3" rubber pipe connectors that can be used there also for about $5USD.<P>I've been running one successfully for the last year with no problems.<P>------------------<BR>David Coleman- <B><I>Moderator</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><I>Why get clear tail lights when only Geo Metros are gonna see them?</I></B>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
~robin

Post by ~robin »

I fitted a new air intake hose a couple of days ago, mine had developed a crack.<BR>I phoned the local Mazda dealer, he had one in stock and put it to one side for me!<BR>PN: K80113220D @ £50.51 + 17.5% VAT it wasn't cheap.. I did the air filter whilst I was at it, PN: K80113Z40 9A £14.72 + VAT<P>Of course this is just in the UK, but I would have assumed you'd get the same or better service in the US and Canada...<P>Might be worth a phone call to the local dealer?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”