8 cylinder

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mattster

Re: 8 cylinder

Post by mattster »

how soon should we all be expecting this project to be finished?? also a miata is alot easier than a mx-3 to put a v8 in because it's allready RWD.
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

already bein rear-wheel drive is irrelevant in this case... he's talking about not being able to fit the engine in the engine bay, and it appears that he's got unlimited funds to do a rear-wheel drive conversion.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

why would u put a chevy engine in it. Truly, just put a kl-ze in it and turbo the hell out of it with all the money u have and it would haul more *** , and if you want rwd that bad go the 20b route. :shrug:
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)
davidosk024

Post by davidosk024 »

Ok, DO NOT DROP a chev in it... it weights to much...<p>You should follow the Japanese persepective....<p>Top Secret Autotuning house in Japan, has done this with alot of their cars. Here we go....<p>ALOT of the Japanese cars do not use v8s as they weight to much, and power to weight is everything in a car. What they have perfected it this model... turbo charged four cyclinder engine....
with the right forged parts you can get about 750hp out of it. <p>If your going to spend that much, order a Mitsubishi Evolution engine, that comes stock with 360hp, and then you can start adding the forged bits and boosting it up more. then either convert your car to AWD or RWD... up to you really... <p>V8s are ****, they weight to much and ya they got tons of power and torque, but you will never put it all to the ground properly. 4 cylinder or v6 is the way to go.<p>Just go with the four banger turbo engines.... WRX sti or mitsubishi EVO, you can buy a brand new enigine from japanese companies for around $5500 for those types of cars, if you want massive HP these little engines can do it just the same. It is also easier to balance your car weight distib with a smaller engine.<p>The tuning bits for the engine, weather its from JUNAuto in japan or HKS or Top secret... is up to you... all the bits all up will come to probably 10 - 15k for the best **** available for massive boost and HP and torque.<p>An AWD conversion can be done by different engineering companies, you will need to hunt them down... i know prodrive does subarus rally cars awd systems.
In
Eunos 30x, v6
KL-ZE, 2.5in exhaust, K&N intake
Unichip, LSD, 13lb flywheel, ACT2 clutch, NGK iridium Plugs, Top Gun Leads...<p>Goin In
Cams, Headers, TB, Extractors,
Bored to 2.8, Mazdaspeed Struts, Mazdaspeed strut tops,
Mazdaspeed swaybars, Eibach springs, Cusco Adj. Strut tops, Body kit, Altezza lights, Short shifter, Crossdrilled rotors and Calipers from AP racing, Braided brake lines, Braided clutch line, Mazdaspeed steering wheel, Mazdaspeed Leather shift knob,
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

It's kind of funny i was thinking about the whole two engine thing today..not that i was going to try it, but i was thinking about the possibility of it...but i have some issues with that....wouldnt it be bad for your transmission/engine/ and just the entire drive train as a whole if you had one engine going faster or more powerful than the other? Especially if you had the rear wheels to one engine and the front to the other...know what i mean???
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

i was wondering that exact same thing myself
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Fair comment about the Chevy engines being too heavy, how about a Lexus or Nissan V8, I dunno but I guess they're probably alloy blocks, course you'd probably be sitting in the back seat in order to fit it all in!
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

well considering if I boosted my V8 it would most like net near the 2000 horsepower mark, I wouldn't say they are heavy. Theres only so much you can do with little displacment. Also if you give a little kid an adults job, he isn't going to last long, if yah know what I mean. davidosk024 I think you should retract the statement about V8's being ****ty, as most of them will woop your car, even with the kl-ze. :shrug:
Aaron MacDougall

Post by Aaron MacDougall »

I have to disagree with the "there is only so much you can do with little displacement" comment. I don't know if many of you are familiar with Bob Norwoods 3S-GTE powered mr2 turbo destroked to run in the 1.5L class at the bonneville salt flats. At 45psi he managed to make around 600whp and smashed the speed record for that class by 70mph hitting a wall of air at 205mph!! Then managed to
destoke a 4AG 1.6L to 999cc's and making 450whp at 40psi of boost and taking it to 152mph...i think that is pretty amazing....over 450hp/litre is pretty decent i guess.<p>If you have some time on your hands and want a REALLY good read i suggest this link...no matter what anyone says...size doesn't matter :) :) <p>http://www.bobnorwood.com/The%20Fastest%20Little%20Sports%20Car%20in%20Utah.htm
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Realise this will cost upwards of 20000USD apart from the motor in hacking and welding the frame. Just make a tube frame VW sand rail or something: cheaper, faster, lighter, and alot less trouble.<p>Also, most V8's arent designed to be mounted transversally, like a Mid engined MX-3 would require. Unless you wanted to run a Porsche transaxle, but that'd put the crank pulley at about your right elbow on a SBC.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
sheller

Post by sheller »

My 2 cents worth...
I've seen 500hp aircooled vw engines. What we have as a starting point is so much more than those 60 year old engines we should be able to get at least that much out of them, especially the klze's. Yes, I know vw engines aren't that old but the original designs are. If you start getting much more hp than that, what are you going to do with it? You can only have so large a tire and with too much hp you are just going to bust them loose any time you breath heavily on the accelerator. Plus, if you convert the poor car to having the engine in the back, you will have the same problem that vw's do with big engines...there is no compensating weight in the front. That nose will go straight up and might even flip you over if you really try and take off fast.
Personal opinion, if you want to drop large amounts of dough into your car, great. I'd just get a klze or the like (that will relatively easily drop in), rebuilt it using the best parts and labor. The is a perfect time to bore it out and get it ready for a turbo or supercharger. Make sure everying is perfectly balanced, ported, and polished. Then upgrade the tranny and suspension to where you'll need it for the extra hp. If you want, change to an all wheel drive system. Since you are already planning on doing some fiberglass work, build yourself a custom body kit.
This way you'll have a car that will hall balls and will actually be usuable and look unique.
As I said, my 2 cents worth.
Steve
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Coleman:
[QB]
Also, most V8's arent designed to be mounted transversally, like a Mid engined MX-3 would require. <p>
Why aren't more japanese engines made in the transverse design, I guess now the technology is just catching up in that the new civic si motor is mounted so that the IM is in the front and exhaust in the back. Any input? Whats the better design? Does displacement play a factor in this? Always wondered this.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

I understand your comment about the big horsepower from small discplacement, but how long do you think that engine lasted?
sheller

Post by sheller »

Partly it depends on how they are set up and how they are used. If you have it for drag racing, then you don't expect it to last that long. If you have it built for street use and don't try and drag it all of the time, then it can last for a while. There was one of the cover of VW Trends (or Hot VW's, I can't remember) a year or two ago that put out 500+hp. It would do like 9.90 or something in the quarter and was perfectly street legal. In fact the owner did use it on the street regularly. But pretty much any car that puts out that much power probably isn't a good daily driver and it doesn't matter if you're talking 4, 6, or 8 cylinder.
Now that I'm thinking about it, here's another word of advice. If you are planning on really increasing the hp, upgrade your brakes. For your health and well being, stopping is more important than going. :-)
Steve
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by quinn_seipp:
I understand your comment about the big horsepower from small discplacement, but how long do you think that engine lasted?<hr></blockquote><p>thats why id choose chevy over other ones, since 1st, reliable, 2nd can run higher hp/tq that there wont be issue of power to weight ratio, 3rd u can get custom parts made for chevy for cents, compared to some japanese engine that like someone said would cost like $5500 from factory with ~350hp? umm for that money u can get custom built chevy with ~750+ hp and then listen to this...u wouldnt have to mess with ecu's and all that electronic s***, which gonna cost extra money. and then my favorite quote "no replacement for displacement" of course ud need to make rear wheel tubs bigger to allow for some "fatties" to control all that hp but its gonna be worth it when u could pull to that civic and do wheelie on him and still beat him in 1/4 after doing wheelie for a while lol. and about weight....small block weight ~500lbs, not sure how much does klze weigh or other setup ud recommend, i am sure two I-4's weight more than ~500. and again u wouldnt have to mess with electronics with chevy.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”