Checking a sub...

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Austoon

Checking a sub...

Post by Austoon »

I was just wondering if there is anyway to tell if a sub is blown or not by just lookin at certain things or not?

I was offered a sub for $85, he says its still brand new, in box, never opened.
If it still got a plastic wrap on it then problem solved BUT if there isnt, is there anything that could be checked to make sure he aint screwin me around without actually having to hook it up and try it?
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Checking a sub...

Post by Dali »

just push down on the middle of the sub, if it moves freely and comes back up its good, if it crunches and moves hard its blown. if blown it will have a burnt smell to it depending on how bad it was cooked. you can also put a 9 volt battery to it, just run a wire from each terminal on the sub to the battery conectors, this will pulse it, move it up and down a bit, with a little sound. other than that you can take it to a car audio shop and get them to look at it.
1993 White gs klze.
Austoon

Post by Austoon »

Alright, Thanks for the help
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Pushing down on the cone will only tell if its burnt..

If you look closely at the braided very flexible wires from the terminals to the voicecoil you can see if it has been used (if you can se its been used you can tell him and offer a smaller amount for the sub :)
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”