CD Player

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Nallboy
Supporting Member

CD Player

Post by Nallboy »

Hey, guys, got a problem. I had a nice player in my RS. It got rear-ended. I bought a GS, and put the good player in. I then fixed my RS to be my daily driver during my GS-R project. Now I've put the semi-crappy CD Player that came with my GS in my RS just so I can have some music. Well, I hooked the right wire up to each wire on the player, but there are two extra wires coming from the car that don't have one to connect to on the player. They are red and red/black. My cd player works only as a radio. It blinks and says that there's a CD inside(there isn't, I'm sure), and it won't eject or let me put one it. It won't try to play the one inside either; it's like the CD part is just dead. Please help if you can.
Thanks!
-John
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
hadj10

Re: CD Player

Post by hadj10 »

Well for most decks there are 3 main wires for the operation, the battery, acc, and the ground...the others are for speakers, dimmer, remote, etc. So with the main wires hooked up the "cd player" functions should be working.
I had a deck that did something similar to yours. sometimes the rolling mechinism in the deck gets stuck either with dirt or maybe broken.
You can always pick up a can of compressed air used to clean electronics, and carefully blow the air into the deck part. I say carefully b/c you don't want to scratch the lazer eye.

If all else fails, i wouldn't pay to get it fixed, decks are cheap enough nowa days.

good luck
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

did u use a harness or hack the wires in the stock harness
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
anvil82

Post by anvil82 »

Red/Black is illumination, the "red" wire may be more than just red, check again.

Here is the table for colors:

1992-93 Mazda MX3 Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Blue/Red
Switched 12V+ Blue/White
Ground n/a
Illumination Red/Black
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Driver's Pillar
Front Speakers 5 1/4" Doors
Left Front (+) Blue
Left Front (-) Blue/White
Right Front (+) Blue/Red
Right Front (-) Blue/Yellow
Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Shock Tower
Left Rear (+) Blue/White
Left Rear (-) Blue/Green
Right Rear (+) Blue/Red
Right Rear (-) Blue/Green

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1992-93&make=Mazda&model=MX3&ID=18306&type=Stereo
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

No, man. Besides the little pinkinsh dots (that are on all the wires coming from the car) that one's all red. :shrug:
As far as I know, all the wires inside are the stock wires. I look inside and they are all still kinda attached to the side wall of the console (don't really know how to explain it, but it looks like it has to be the stock ones). Sorry, I'm usually more into the part of the car that makes it go. :welder: Thanks for your help. :2thumbsup:
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

what kind of HU is it? Look for the "reset" button on it and mayb that'll fix the CD problem
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
anvil82

Post by anvil82 »

Originally posted by Nallboy:
No, man. Besides the little pinkinsh dots (that are on all the wires coming from the car) that one's all red. :shrug:
As far as I know, all the wires inside are the stock wires. I look inside and they are all still kinda attached to the side wall of the console (don't really know how to explain it, but it looks like it has to be the stock ones). Sorry, I'm usually more into the part of the car that makes it go. :welder: Thanks for your help. :2thumbsup:
I actually got my head unit the other day and finally got around to installing it today.

Well when I removed the old (not stock) head unit, it was a mess so I had to cut all the wires, and start fresh.

That color wire code I posted before did not make any sense, so don't trust that.

I manually tested each wire, and found the 8 that went to speakers, the illumination wire, the constant 12v, and the switched (acc) 12v, and the ground which was separate.

I too ended up with one red wire, which I had no idea what it went to.

My head unit did work perfectly though, at least so far. It would be nice to know what it did though.

This one looks more accurate:

http://installdr.com/Harnesses/Mazda-Wiring.pdf

I don't remember what pin the red wire was though.

<small>[ May 01, 2004, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: billby ]</small>
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

I found out that the red wires are for the stock cd player lights. They are used to join the player's lights to the stock dashboard dimmer. Aftermarket decks don't typically use these. About my player, the motor in the thing's just screwed up. :p
anvil82

Post by anvil82 »

The red/black is the illumination wire, yes.

This is so when you put on the car's lights the deck dims. Most decks have this feature.

The plain red wire though, that's a mystery.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”