Alternator Battery Upgrade

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
LooseChangeRacing

Alternator Battery Upgrade

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

What alternators better then the 92 Rs Edition can be bolted in. And as far as I know Optima is the best right? Red tops? I basicly will be adding a few things to my car which won't help the battery to much specially with the stereo on. And i need some more juice, I didn't want to do capacitors and all that. Just hopefully a new alternator and battery should help correct? Where can I find a better alternator.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Alternator Battery Upgrade

Post by monty73741 »

Swapping 60Amp (RS) for 90Amp (GS) alternator:

I notice a couple of weeks a go, on my friend Ron'sProtege that the engine RPM's would change each time the lights flashed when the emergency flashers were on. The stock charging system was having a hard time keeping up to the electrical requirments of the car. I gave Ron my spare 90Amp alternator to see if that would fix the problem of the engine speed dropping everytime he increased the electrical demand on the car. He had to swap pulleys from the old 60Amp to the 90Amp alternator because the "B" engine use a V-belt where the "K" engine use a serpentine belt. Also the Mounting bolts attach from the opposite side. Once the alternator is mechanically installed the wiring just plugs in. Now with the charging system having more capacity it uses less engine horsepower to operate all the electric systems.
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
BumpNGlow

Re: Alternator Battery Upgrade

Post by BumpNGlow »

Optima makes batteries, not alternators. The red top and yellow top are both batteries that will fit in the stock battery location of our mx-3s.

If you want a higher output alternator, you have only a few choices.

You can get a stock casing rewound for about 120amps or so, but not too much more. The problem w/ this is the stock casing isn't meant to dispursethat much heat and rewound alternators have been known to have shorter life spands.... get a warranty.
You can pay a TON of money for an Ohio Generator alternator and get 190amps. Good solid alternator, reliable, and good warranty. But expensive (I think retail is 525$ for them).
The only other option I found is Iraggi Alternators. This guy rules! Dominick Iraggi is the builder and he will make it as custom as you want. My alternator is 220(ish)amp and can switch b/t 16v and 12v charging. I had a lot of problems w/ getting it to fit properly but I've never had a problem w/ it not working. I've had it for awhile now, given it hell w/ my many stereo systems and it never fails me. You can email him at dominick@tds.net . He's very helpful and will answer any questions.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”