Diff between GS and GS-R

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Becker

Diff between GS and GS-R

Post by Becker »

I have a GS and i've heard people on the site talking about a gs-r, whats the diff?? :shrug: and i did search.
94 V6 GS Teal
I'm Not C0CKY....Just Perfect
kuruption1983

Re: Diff between GS and GS-R

Post by kuruption1983 »

gsr = mx3s with KLZE or a KLDE engine swap,,,
doesnt come stock,,, i wish it did,, :roll:
Becker

Post by Becker »

Thanks!
94 V6 GS Teal
I'm Not C0CKY....Just Perfect
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kuruption1983:
doesnt come stock... i wish it did<hr></blockquote><p>I was thinking the same thing until something came to me. If they had put the KL03 engine in the MX-3 it would have been a MUCH more popular car. AND it would most likely still be produced. That woule mean a LOT more MX-3's running around. Plus, the price of them would most likely be higher because it would have been a "High Performance" car and insurance would be higher also because of the added power. I am glad that we got stuck with an under-appreciated engine. That means we can swap a KL03 engine for prolly less money that it would have cost for one stock with the bigger motor. I dunno this for fact, but it makes me happier with what I have. :)
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Soulflare

Post by Soulflare »

I totally agree with u Ryan... be there are pros and cons for this.... pro would be as u mentioned... the cheaper insurance and the cheaper price of the car itself... but the cons would be that since its not popular due to this fact and the fact that its discontinued... we don't get as much performance parts for our cars... and its really pricey for parts too..
Just a thought ^^
Soulflare
Pearl MX-3 GSR (SOLD)
Mystic RX-8 GT
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I used to think that too until my cuzin got into Honda tuning. The parts may be more prominent, but NOT cheaper. Figure the CF hood. Jarid had them for $250 for the OEM hood. A CF hoof for a 5G Civic (one of the most tuned vehicles) is around $400-$500. The big engine they put in their cars is the ITR B18C5 j-spec engine that comes with 195HP and 130TQ. This goes for $5999 before shipping. Some guys have gotten the KLZE (200HP, 190TQ) for under $1000 and most get it for under $1500 shipped. Coincidentally the KLZE in our car will make the ITR powered Civic seem like it's stock off the line, and it won't catch up. Most muffler systems we have to get are custom which is cheaper. If you want a turbo setup, most likely you're gunna have to go custom (cheaper). Even body kits. I think FX Designs is the most expensive I have seen for $1200 for the full kit. You figure kits for the teg and civic run well into the $2000-$3000 range for some of them. I've seen a body kit go for $6000 for a supra, and that's before body molding. The only bad part is that we actually have to take the time to learn about our cars before we work on them. Any honda guy can just throw another 50HP at his car and not worry because the company that built the system has done all the work for him. But when that part breaks, he's not gunna know how to fix it and will have to pay them again to repair it.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Post by Guest »

Ya thats so true, But they do get cheaper appearence altering parts, but thats all about supply and demand.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

the main thing I see that I don't like is they have TONS more parts than we do :( I want a lot of stuff civics can get... but I don't have the time/money/knowledge to custom it for this car.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
mattster

Post by mattster »

hmmmm... i agree, the prices are similar, but i think the problem is how easy parts for the MX-3 can be found. a civic driver could walk into any store that sells car parts and find anything he wants for his car on the spot. where as the superior MX-3ers must do most of their shopping on the internet.
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”