Instillation Headache!!! HELP!

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Reprobation14

Instillation Headache!!! HELP!

Post by Reprobation14 »

okay... just bought my first mx-3.. im already in love with it.. the first thing that is a MUST go is the stock stereo equip.. so i pick up some nice speakers get the speaker mounts for wiring.. and head home.. <p>now this is honestly.. the first speaker job i've ever done.. not gonna lie.. but help a guy out..<p>i get the panels off.. remove the oem speakers.. and start installing one of the front speakers, now heres the problem... the speaker i've bought has screw holes for a 4 screw set up as well as a 3 screw set up.. basically because the mx-3 comes with the 3 screw set up, i want to use that.. correct?<p>Well i set them in, attach the harness.. and begin the first screw.. noooo problems..
now the other two screws.. here's where it gets funky..<p>the other two screw holes don't match up with wear they need to be.. they are about 1-2 mm off... am i going to have to encase the metal area in my door with something to get these to fit? or am i just too stupid to figure this out..<p>
also.. in the back speaker set... pioneer speakers, only set up for 4 screws... but the back set up also uses the 3 screw set up.. what am i to do! ... oye... thanks for the help guys! - chris
Johns93GS

Re: Instillation Headache!!! HELP!

Post by Johns93GS »

Drill new mounting points man. :welder:<p>[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: Johns93GS ]</p>
john kilfoyle .:. mx-3 fanatic
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnmx3
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

thats what we call a MOD :D
Reprobation14

Post by Reprobation14 »

Ahh thats where another lies... you see, the points are like.. too close to the edge of the metal... thus if i drill a hole, ill more or less just be drilling a semi-circle.... <p>okay.. what else could i possibly do?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

This is your "headache"?? :freak: <p>There are clips for mounting on the edge of the metal like that. I'm guessing if it's that close to the edge, you bought 5" speakers. You should have bought 6" speakers for a snug fit.<p>If you must use these smaller speakers, buy a 10"x20" sheet of 1/4" ABS at your local plastics shop, and make a pair of mounting rings big enough to shoot some screws into the sheet metal around the hole, and make the hole in the middle snug, and screw the speakers straight into the ABS.

Post by Guest »

this is what i did.
I used the old braket with the stock speakers. Drilled new holes on the braket to hold my pioneer speakers. Since my pinoeers are only
5 1/4. after you mount the speakers on a bigger braket. I used some fome(spell?!) to seal the edges for better sound quality. Then just use the old bolts on the old braket to put them back!<p>[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: jdm_mxpower ]</p>
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

foam :D ;)
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Midnight.Son

Post by Midnight.Son »

You could take some thin gauge metal and fabricate new mounting brackets using the old ones as a template for a custom fit.
1994 Mx-3 RS Automatic & 1993 MX-3 GS manual
Reprobation14

Post by Reprobation14 »

Actually i bout 6 1/4" speakers for the front... and 5 1/2" (i believe) for the back speakers.. as for the mount brackets.. i think that might work.. i don't know.. hmmz.. its worth a try - easier than fabricating a new board there... :) <p>thanks guys! ill keep you updated!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

dont do all that mess Rotate yoru speaker until none of the holes line up then drill with a self tapping screw Problem solved
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mnemonic:
dont do all that mess Rotate yoru speaker until none of the holes line up then drill with a self tapping screw Problem solved<hr></blockquote><p>I'd predrill a hole, even if using self-tapping. Otherwise, you're only asking to shoot that screw straight through the speaker surround.
Reprobation14

Post by Reprobation14 »

Im thinking the self tapping screw is gonna work best.. i talked to some of the car audio installation guys at work.. they recommended some self tapping screws... which they said they could give me for free.. so i figured why not.. plus they would loan me the tools to do it there are work.. even better.. cause im poor! not even enough money for a damn power drill...<p>anyways.. thanks guys! any other ideas are still welcome!!!<p>-Chris!
Reprobation14

Post by Reprobation14 »

Got the front speakers done! self-tapping screws were simple!
all done!

:)

Those puppies are GREAT esspecially on the higher end notes :-D

anyways, thanks for all the help guys! -Chris
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

I think I used 2 of the screw points, then zip tied the last one down tightly. :D
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
[wolfman]

Post by [wolfman] »

I traced round the factory speakers and cut it out of 1/4ins mdf... i then just cut the hole out off the mdf for the new speakers and screwed the new speakers to the mdf ring... then screwed the mdf to the car... should sound better than screwing to the metal... should get more bass from the wood.. you could even bong the mdf to the metal for a even better sound.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”