Fibreglassing...

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

Fibreglassing...

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I didnt know if i should post this on Appearance or Car Stereo, but i figured that Stereo people would have more experience with fibreglass than appearance...<p>Hopefully starting next week, ill be starting a project to integrate my CarPC into my Mx-3, by this i mean actually make the CarPC look like it belong in a car, not just a suitcase strapped by bungies to the back of my trunk.<p>Now what i wanna do it make my trunk cover my computer case, having the cd-rom stick just above the rear seat, case window in the shape my 92's Mazda symbol, light by 2 sound sensitive neons, etc...anyway, the trunk cover will need to hold the weight of the average computer (1 CD-ROM, 1 Hard Drive, 1 Good Power supply, say an Approved 300w, Motherboard with RAM, CPU and say 4 PCI Cards, i have no idea of how much a computer weights)<p>Now, i have no idea the strength of fibreglass (or even how to use it, but hey, its a learning experience). I was thinking fibreglass re-inforcing particleboard or plywood. Or What would you guys recommend?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Fibreglassing...

Post by Custommx3 »

Fiberglass (depending on how many sheets of mat you use, it can be as strong as steel. Also with your PC your going to want to drill some holes to vent out the heat.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

How many layers is normally recommended for good strength? Roughly, how think is 1 layer?<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
Also with your PC your going to want to drill some holes to vent out the heat.<hr></blockquote><p>Of course, of course :D
I already knew i had too, im still working on fan/vent placement and sizes, but i have a basic idea for the cooling. What im currently tring to figure out is which will be intake and which will be exaust<p>Actually im still conteplating watercooling, but thats prolly more problamatic than its worth. So far with the basic setup and cooling (2x60mm fans and 1 80mm from the psu) its running fine, i've caught the cpu at 55*C a few times, dont know if its been higher, but i have shutdown set to 70*C and it hasnt yet, but the summer is still to come<p>[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]<p>[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

well, on my 1st layer I usually put about 3-4 layers of mat and I let that dry, then I'll go back and add 3-4 more of them.. then I apply just resin to smooth it and give it some strength. Then you can sand after that to smooth it.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

how think (mm wise) is your 3-4 coats?
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
well, on my 1st layer I usually put about 3-4 layers of mat and I let that dry, then I'll go back and add 3-4 more of them.. then I apply just resin to smooth it and give it some strength. Then you can sand after that to smooth it.<hr></blockquote><p>Too many people put just resin on so they can get the smooth finish. If you were to put one layer of cloth, it would give you the same ability to sand perfectly smooth. Resin costs more than fiberglass so you're basically wasting money IMO. Barry, you needa keep me up on what's happening with your project bro. I am still waiting to be able to get my LCD. I also have some info on my gauge project that I wanna run by you.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by VizualXTC:
Too many people put just resin on so they can get the smooth finish. If you were to put one layer of cloth, it would give you the same ability to sand perfectly smooth. Resin costs more than fiberglass so you're basically wasting money IMO. <hr></blockquote><p>But the question, which was is stronger?
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

More sheets = stonger<p>as far as your question.. it actually varies, cause Im not putting them flat. Im actually learning how to FG by my sponsor, who is making the lights. So I dont know it all.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

If you're asking which is stronger between resin and fiberglass cloth, you have to put the resin IN the cloth, so the cloth with resin is stronger than resin without. In fact, if you only put resin, it tends to get a bit brittle and crack if exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. <p>Like Barry said, more sheets make it stronger. As for thickness, different sheets of fiberglass are going to be thicker than others depending on the kind you get. Cloth is going to be thinner than mat because it is in a weave, and not just thrown together. Mat is stronger because the fibers go in all directions. Most people will use mat and then put 1 or 2 layers of cloth on top to get a nice finish. Mat is usually a little cheaper than cloth.<p>Mat
Image<p>Cloth
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

cloth is thicker then mat and stronger then mat, but mat is easier to work with. And for what your doing 3 layers of mat is more then enough. I did my hacth cover with 3 layers and i can stand on the thing(I weigh 200 by the way) No need for cloth unless your going to biuld a boat.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

i have mat and with complex structures its hard to use in my opinion. Cloths is eaiser to shape, and cut to get the sizes and shapes you need.
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mrspanky79:
I did my hacth cover with 3 layers and i can stand on the thing(I weigh 200 by the way) No need for cloth unless your going to biuld a boat.<hr></blockquote><p>You mean you fibreglassed the stock cardboard-like hatch cover
and its that strong?
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

yep I had 6x9 in boxs and amps plus other stuff hanging from it but i change my set up now and selling the hatch cover to a friend.

99 vitara 4x4
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mrspanky79:
cloth is thicker then mat and stronger then mat, but mat is easier to work with.<hr></blockquote><p>Sorry bro but the mat is thicker and stronger and MUCH harder to work with than cloth is. Mat makes a HUGE mess and cloth is very clean. The fibers are in a weave so when you spread on the resin it don't pull random fibers out. I think you have gotten cloth and mat mixed up bro.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

Sorry but no i didn't get them mix up and you just have to look at it before you even start and you will see cloth is twice as think as mat. Cloth is woven together and is like a roug or heavy fabrick it on its own is very stong. Now mat is just loose strans that are made into a layer as you said already it falls apart when you start moving it. Know both are strong combined with resin but when you put stress on a consintrated piont the mat will brake where the cloth will hold together longer because the its all woven together to start with.
Know to work with yes cloth is neater but mat is easier. cloth you have to cut and shape and do in many peace and will end up realy thick in some spot were the colth keeps over laping and will get air boubles making it week. Were mat will easly stretch and fit in every crevis with no problem and can add bits where needed with out making it to thick and traping in air. And I know all this from experense working with boat at one of canadas larges servise marina and one off carvers biggest repersentive.

99 vitara 4x4

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”