In-car MP3 computer system and more...

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
mazda20

Re: In-car MP3 computer system and more...

Post by mazda20 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
<p>HAHAHA, your kidding right? The second time i opening a laptop it cost me $600. Unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing, i recommend stay away from that idea.<p>Besides, the cables for the lcd are small and wont widthstand any tension, delicate and hard to work with, and who know the side effects of extending a wire a few metres that is usually no more than an inch long.<p>As for performance of a cheep laptop, it depends on what you are doing. Me i like good performance and upgradability, i've changed the video, sound, hard drive, cd, cpu and memory in the 5 months that its been in my car, i upgrade and move parts around<p>besides, can an El Cheepo laptop do this:
(Thats Need For Speed 6:Hot Pursuit 2, BTW)<p>[ March 26, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]
<hr></blockquote><p>No I am not kidding! It could easily be completed with a descent used 300mhz or so laptop with a cd-rom. (no dvd needed unless you want it). A nice size HD would be great, but other than that the rest is pretty standard especially if you decide on a striped down version of Win95 like this setup. As far as the loss in extending the wires well, I have ripped apart my fair share of laptops and I would think that it would be better to start where the adapter mates with the MB. Not to directly splice and it could easily be extended the length of a standard vga extension cable which is what 3-4 feet. That is just enough to put in under the dash or under the seat. And with a laptop you don't have to worry about an AC/DC Convertor in your car.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MP3Guy:
<p>Youngin :) This was installed 3 years ago... there were no Car MP3 players on the market.<hr></blockquote><p>I won't take the term youngin offensive if your in your forties plus, and serving in the Marine Corps right now. Otherwise, it was observation rather than a reflection of age.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BumpNGlow:
Do passenger's complain about the monitor being there?<hr></blockquote><p>i dont know, i havent had a passenger in my car since i got the touchscreen installed<p>
Kick @#$ Mazda, if you have experience with laptops and a 300Mhz laptop will suit your needs, thats thats alright, thats the neat thing about carpc's, they're always different setups cause the users has different wants/needs.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Justin Evans

Post by Justin Evans »

There are quite a few alternatives to such a large system but then again three years ago technology was not quite where it is today.<p>I am impressed with you CPU set up MP3Guy but would offer this as an alternative to those who just want music and lots of it!<p>Image<p>KENWOOD KEG
Quartermaster92Y@hotmail.com
***DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!***
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

and movies? and games? and GPS? Add all that in and compare prices.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
Absath

Post by Absath »

ok, so i fairly grasp the concept of wiring speakers to my deck. i've never had a system that went beyond that basic setup.<p>I just ordered a 7" lcd screen that i plan to mount in my car. my plan is to start off with a simple ps2 under the seat (only system i dont own...) for games and dvd's. eventually i'd like to put a computer in the trunk.<p>the computer aspect is no problem... i'm A+ certified, and know my way around a motherboard. my question is this: how do you hook up the computer's sound cards to the car's speakers? and how can you run both the dash cd deck and the computer to the same speakers? and how can you differentiate?<p>-Abs
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Easy, but you need to choose the right deck before you do it...<p>I choose a Pioneer DEH-8400P. Any of the "P" series decks have the expansion port on the back, its used for CD Changers, XM Add-On, And many other stuff including an Audio Input Box that has 2 RCA (Left and Right Channel) Inputs from any source; Mp3 Player, Walkman, PS2 or even a computer.<p>In the deck theres an AUX option (which you must enable cause its disabled by default). Once you enable it, its added to the SOURCE option on the deck, do you scrool through it like: "TUNER, CD, AUX"<p>Also, and im really looking forward to this, theres another box that does Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding (with a build in amplifier). Useful if you have a DVD-capable deck, but the higher up model (one of two models) had optical in, which my sound card has optical out. SO when i get that, i'll be able to do 5.1 surround with the car's speakers, or 4.1 until i get a center channel.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Absath

Post by Absath »

ahh i gotcha. so i get the deck that hooks up to the audio input box, which hooks up to the computer or ps2 and im all set? <p>the audio input box and the ability to hook it up to the deck is the key then.<p>-Abs

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

exactly!
Absath

Post by Absath »

ok well, i just got a 7" lcd screen... it has a 12v power connection for the cigarette lighter... could i just strip that wire and hard wire it to a 12v line in the dash?<p>-Abs

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

yep

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”