Hidden subs

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
treckrtj

Hidden subs

Post by treckrtj »

Want some more bass. Have two 6.5 Alpine 3-ways in the doors. 2 6x9 Pioneer 3-ways bolted into a custom 3/16" hatch cover. Powered by a Kenwood KDC-319. Has 50x4 pre-amp power and RCA outputs. Sounds good quality, but not enough lows. So here's the question. I don't want to kill or blow up my eardrums, or have some massive system that takes all my trunk space. so I bought two 8" subs out of my buddie's wrecked car for $20. I want to make some sort of tiny moxes for them that sit in the back corners of the trunk in my 93 GS. So can I just make some sort of wood boxes to sit low-profile in there? And where do you recommend I tuck my amp without losing the spare tire and crap? Remeber, low profile but decent sound! Thanks.
BumpNGlow

Re: Hidden subs

Post by BumpNGlow »

you can make a pretty thin box that is the width of the hatch, that fits right up against the back seats (set back a few inches for excursion)<p>Could do:
------------------
| Sub |amp| Sub |
------------------<p>kind of box... w/ 8's you won't need much airspace at all but that'd be pretty stealthy.<p>If you want to keep as much space in the hatch as possible, you can make very small boxes on either side, but if you are just using mdf/wood then its either a) gonna be a extremely small box or b) its going to take up a significant amount of room anyways.<p>Another idea would be to raise the floor and have the subs down there...<p>Look around sounddomian -- ppl have done some things on there that might work.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

what kind of subs? That way we know if they need to be IB or sealed or such. The above idea is perfect. anything tyuly stealthy will probly require fiberglass. You can use the spare tire well as a sub box. Thats a different story though.
treckrtj

Post by treckrtj »

This is a link to the type of speaker:<p>http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-HevhbcYMqgn/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=67500&I=575RFP4408&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y<p>Now, when I build these boxes, do I port them? And I think I am gonna try to tuck them into the back corners of the trunk. Also, Could I use a 4-way amp to power my 6x9's as well?? Tell me what that would involve, as well as where I could hide my amp with the speakers in this position. Thanks all!
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

ok, the speck on that are perfect for hiding. If you were into fiberglassing you can do a lot with those, i will have to look at mine when I get home but I thin those with the right sealed box could hide under the dash. Sealed will be the tightest and cleanest sound. Ported will be a larger box and louder. I would go sealed personally. I think it would have all the bass you want.
treckrtj

Post by treckrtj »

thanks a lot. Waht about the powering questions?? amps and such?
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

I have my amp under my driver's seat, that is a good place to put it as it's totally useless space otherwise.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

my ps2 is in the way. The back of the seat is a good place -- where have you decided to put the box?
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
treckrtj

Post by treckrtj »

I already made two little sealed boxes in the back corners of the trunk space. Looks like I can slide the amp behind the pass-side plastic over the wheel well! So everything is hidden. The boxes are pretty flat, but I made them tall so the had some room in them for sound quality. I will post some pics when it is all done. Looks clean, though. Only thing I gotta do now is run the wower and RCA lines to the front! The speakers face in towards each other. I have heard all sorts of stuff about them needing to face towards the back, but I guess I'll trade space for a tiny, TINY bit of sound quality (if it even matters at all). The boxes are 3/16" MDF. Instead of the regulare sub-box carpet stuff, I used some thick black felt with contact cement. The same stuff I used for my trunk cover. So it all looks good as OEM (except the red subs AND the insanely good sound......) Thanks for help, I'll post pics ASAP.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”