1 amp or 2?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Bundy

1 amp or 2?

Post by Bundy »

I'm really new to this amplifier staff, and got one question. Is there any difference between using 2 amps with 2ch on it and using 1 amp with 4ch on it? Also, I believe the more you spend, the better it gets, but what do you think about something like the following? It looks like it got tons of power on it.<p>powerful amp<p>bungo
polak_gino

Re: 1 amp or 2?

Post by polak_gino »

never experienced pyramid myself, but thats because ive heard that its not too good
> Toronto MX-3 Club
> My Car Audio Install
> ProMazda.com

Metalic Green '92 GS 5-Speed
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I think you would be wasting your money. Sure, pyramid was a good quality brand name, in it's day. Just like Jenson for example. Now they are just second hand brand. They will not do what the specs say. I had a Planet Audio 800w amp. It couldn't handle a 2ohm load, but it said it could. The cheapest I would go is Sony. At least there specs are near what they do.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

yup pyramids suck. i have tried a few of there amps in some installs and they never last or do anywhere near what they say they can.
polak_gino

Post by polak_gino »

ya its pretty much safe to say u get wat u pay for. expecially when u see these $100 no name amps that have 1800 watts, ahah it won't happen. Amps make such a huge deal, so id say save up some more cash and go buy somthing better, somthing reliable and something u know u can count on. <p>ask ppl for refernces on their amps,and how they perform. amps can make a huge diff, from making ur system sound amazing or like a$$
> Toronto MX-3 Club
> My Car Audio Install
> ProMazda.com

Metalic Green '92 GS 5-Speed
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Thanks for your replies, guys. It sounds like ood amps cost some. Also, what do you think about using 1 amp or 2? Does it make any difference based on the cost and ease of installation?<p>bungo
bigluke

Post by bigluke »

It mite cost less to use 1 amp but if the prices are close id use to just cuz it looks hotter having 2 amps instead of 1. i mite have 3, one for subs, 2 for interior, depends.
Dont let anyone tell u u cant run subs off of your head unit,(temporarily that is) all u need is a big box :) <p>-Luke
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

u have more settings to dial with 2 amps if i had back speakers (which i never will) i would have a sep amp for front and rear
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Can you also tell me what else I'd need to install the amp except the head unit? I saw some people's settings and they tend to use a huge capacitors like 1farat. Also, some people have one extra baterry in the car. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.<p>bungo
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Pyramid is the worst stereo product EVER made.. I would only use there speakers as Cereal bowls, and I would use there amps to power bass lights... down with Pyramid
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

If you can, go with one. Then you'll save money, no extra wiring, RCA's, etc. A cap is a good thing for extra support, so you can have your AC or headlights going without your car dying.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

yeah a cap is meant to keep dips from occuring in ur electrical sytem if u have an rs i would def recomend one and with a gs it still wouldn't hurt. general rule of thumb is add 1 fared for every 1000 watts. other than this you would need power and ground cable, fuse, fuse holder, distribution block, remote wire, rca cables,and crimp connecters. your best bet for the cables is the $25 4g kit from wal-mart.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

I'd been looking at some web sites and I might put the amp under the passenger side seat or in the trunk. Some people say the closer to the engine & AC, the more noise I might get.<p>I found the following amp at ebay, and please let me know what you think. It's 400w rated 2ch sony amp.<p>sony amp at ebay<p>bungo
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

hmm, the pyramid amp looks like a good component amp... or a space heater... hmmm, or a toaster. I could make breakfast in my car and I'd never be late to school... now can you really put a price on that?
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

One more quick question. How hot do your amps get when it's used? Is it like burning hot? Also, how noisy is the fan on the amp? I'm talking about the fans to blow out the heat. Thanks

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”