Amplifier Problems

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
VizualXTC

Amplifier Problems

Post by VizualXTC »

Hey, I am havin some problems with my amplifier. I have a POS amp right now but it does have a protection circuit. My amp keeps going into protection mode when I'm drivin. I'm not over powering it or anything like that. Is there any other reason it would trip the circuit? I can't find any short circuits in the wiring so I am very confused. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Amplifier Problems

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

well if your positive that there's no cross-wiring ( not even one peice of wire thread should be touch another terminal) then its probably defective and overheating. What does it take to get it working again? Do you move it or does it just come back on overtime? How do you have it mounted? Does it have a fan? A couple of other questions to answer would help determine what the prob is.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

What are you running from the amp. It might not be stable. For example, I have two dual voice coil 12 Earthquake Magmas that I getting ready to sell. They are each 4 ohms. My amps would take on a 2 ohm load, cause these subs demand power. Well of course, I had a Planet Audio that said it was 2 ohm stable, but was infact not. I got two Mtx mono amps and that did the trick.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Well, the subs that I have are 4 ohm SVC subs so I know I'm not overpowering it. <p>I know that there shouldn't be even a strand connected and I have gone thru reasonable extent to prevent that. No it does not have a fan. I have it mounted with the connections facing up. It worked for almost a year in this exact setup so I know that it's fine. The way I have to turn it back on is to turn the lead off, and then back on. Sometimes it will return on and work normal, sometimes it will play for a few mins and turn back off, and other times it will turn back off imediatly. I am planning on getting a new amp because like I said this one is a POS Legacy Red series model. I just don't want to find out it's something wrong with my alternator or other parts of the electrical system and fry the $700 amp I am planning on buying.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

yea it sounds like its just defective amp. On a side note i could NEVER see myself payin that much for an amp :eek: . I think my 1000 watt was 200.
Shaun Newman
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

what kind of amp are u gettin for $700. kCheck your ground and make sure it is secure if thats not it than the amp is bad. a lot of cheap amps do the exact same thing over time so its prob just worn out.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I'm debating on getting the Kenwood KAC-X810D.<p>What 1000W amp did oyu get for $200? Mine cost $250 and it is I think 500W (I can't really remember)
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

its a soundstorm designs class d amp that i bought at a car audio show they have around here every six months. You can get lots of quality stuff for CHEAP
Shaun Newman
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

maybe I'll have ya check out the show and hook me up bro. If that's kewl with you.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

those soundstorm amps aren't bad for the money. i have a u.s. acoustics 1000d which is 1500w rms and i paid a little under 400. it has low distortion for a class d to.
pickinganame

Post by pickinganame »

about the amp shutting off it usually means not eough powere coming through blown subs was my problem or your wiring or your amp is done but try hooking it up in another vechile like try amp with someones eleses subs and then switch if it works then you narrow it down to wiring..
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

It usually works fine, just sometimes turns off, then it's a ***** to keep it back on. I still have no idea. Oh well.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

Is it hot when it does it? Could it be thermal protection?
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I was thinking that for a while because if I gave it a minute it would start working, but then the other day I got in my car and it was freezing in there, and it still didn't work. It didn't work all the way home, so I'm thinking heat isn't a factor.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

try it in a dif car i had this one pos amp that i could only get to work in my friends car and i tried it in at least five it did the same thing but in his it worked nad his wire and wiring job sucked never did figure out what the deal was with that thing.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”