what size amp?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
rwstud427

what size amp?

Post by rwstud427 »

im about to buy 2 10in subs from my friend. they are in serperate boxes and i was woundering what kind/size amp/amp kit i should. i listen to alternative music mostly but i occasionally listen to rap. i want them to bump when i listen to rap but still be able to listen to alternative w/out srowning out the music. pleaz help.<P>Aaron<BR>1993 MX-3
Wildman640

Re: what size amp?

Post by Wildman640 »

I have an amp for sale, here is the link to my post for the <A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 8&t=000440" TARGET=_blank>amp</A>
rwstud427

Post by rwstud427 »

about how much are u askin for it? and how many watts is it? do u have a pic of it? and i dont know how the 145db system or whatever? does that hit hard? cause i mainly listen to alternative and the hard hit doesnt really matter i just want the bass to be noticeable. the 2 10s are punch and are in serperate boxes. can i run that amp w/ 2 boxes or will i need 2 amps?
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

Tha amp(s) power rating(use rms) should be close to those of the speakers it powers.<P>As for the sound when listening to rap vs. alternative, or anything else: get a small EQ that you can mount in the space underneath your radio. You can then adjust the sound when you change sources. Or you could just adjust the controls on the radio.<P>Brand wise, there's too much out there to tell you one is deffinatly the best overall, but a good guide is: "You don't get what you don't pay for."
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"You don't get what you don't pay for."[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Im pretty sure its You get what you pay for <BR> :D <P>But hes right. Theres so many amps these days by good manufactueres that it just comes down to preference and price.<P>Alot of people go with JBL because there a good bang for your buck. Then theres Ultimate amps, RF, Us Amps (kinda pricey), Re, Memphis .. the list goes on.<P>More power is better, but you dont need 1000 watts to sound good. I recently picked up an old school Orion Cobalt 10" sub thats like 4-5 years old for $25, and put it in a nice big ported box, and running it on a JBL 300.1. Im soo surprised with how well this sub plays, it hits so nice and is very comparable to my 2 12" CV Hed's i had before, in sealed box.<P>Im into everything, and I find this amp/sub combo works well. If your scared of the bass drowing out your highs, get an amp on them too. I went from off the deck, to zapco 50 X 2 and now JBL 90 X 2 on my components, and would never go back. They sound so much better.
Wildman640

Post by Wildman640 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rwstud427:<BR><STRONG>about how much are u askin for it? and how many watts is it? do u have a pic of it? and i dont know how the 145db system or whatever? does that hit hard? cause i mainly listen to alternative and the hard hit doesnt really matter i just want the bass to be noticeable. the 2 10s are punch and are in serperate boxes. can i run that amp w/ 2 boxes or will i need 2 amps?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR>pictures can be found <A HREF="http://harvick29taz.tripod.com/" TARGET=_blank>here</A><P>I just sent you the pics. let me know what you think<p>[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: Ronnie ]
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

if they are 10" rockford fosgate punch zs which is what i think u meant by punch u want an amp that is about 100 watts rms times 2. this will be perfect for what u are lookin for
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

by "you don't get what you don't pay for" I mean that you aren't going to get good quality for cheap & you might get ripped off if you pay a lot. In fact a LOT of audiophile stuff is pretty bad quality, and overpriced: ...8% THD is NOT quality in any way...<BR>I worked with a guy who ripped people off all the time. One of his scams was to sell people vacations. He charged a lot and didn't deliver anything, but people thought that because it was expensive it was legit. Anyway off the subject, but: caviat emptar!
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
Wildman640

Post by Wildman640 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tk1138:<BR><STRONG>by "you don't get what you don't pay for" I mean that you aren't going to get good quality for cheap & you might get ripped off if you pay a lot. In fact a LOT of audiophile stuff is pretty bad quality, and overpriced: ...8% THD is NOT quality in any way...<BR>I worked with a guy who ripped people off all the time. One of his scams was to sell people vacations. He charged a lot and didn't deliver anything, but people thought that because it was expensive it was legit. Anyway off the subject, but: caviat emptar!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>i agree with you. the amp that i am selling has a THD of .02% it is a very high quality amp<p>[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Ronnie ]
rwstud427

Post by rwstud427 »

[img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] what is THD? and what % means what? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Wildman640

Post by Wildman640 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rwstud427:<BR><STRONG> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] what is THD? and what % means what? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>`THD' is for "total harmonic distortion", and is a measure of how<BR>much a certain device may distort a signal. These figures are usually<BR>given as percentages. It is believed that THD figures below<BR>approximately 0.1% are inaudible. However, it should be realized that<BR>distortion adds, so that if a head unit, equalizer, signal processor,<BR>crossover, amplifier and speaker are all rated at "no greater than<BR>0.1%THD", together, they could produce 0.6%THD, which could be<BR>noticeable in the output.<p>[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Ronnie ]
Moe_maX

Post by Moe_maX »

What kind of subs are they again... and are they single / dual Voice coil, plus whats the Ohm rating??<P>Just thinking, cuz i have 2 amps lying around collecting dust... An Ample A410 X... and a P***nix Gold QX2180... <P>Thanx<p>[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Moe_maX ]
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

if you ahve RF Punch Z's, check out that PPI amp that Ronnie has for sale. It will do very nicely. I ran that same setup in my MR-2 for awhile(until I upgrade to XLCs and a 500a2). And I can't tell you how nice that amp worked out for me! Chrome is awesome :D!
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
Wildman640

Post by Wildman640 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BumpNGlow:<BR><STRONG>if you ahve RF Punch Z's, check out that PPI amp that Ronnie has for sale. It will do very nicely. I ran that same setup in my MR-2 for awhile(until I upgrade to XLCs and a 500a2). And I can't tell you how nice that amp worked out for me! Chrome is awesome :D!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>thanks for the praise. I wanted to have my system with the chrome amps because they look so awesome, it was just taking to long to find all the ones with the right wattage that i wanted so i decided on the ones that i currently have.<p>[ October 31, 2002: Message edited by: Ronnie ]

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”