Bandpass vs. Enclosed box?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Tay69

Bandpass vs. Enclosed box?

Post by Tay69 »

Will a bandpass sub make the car vibrate whereas a straight enclosed sub box will give out better sound? If so, how do I protect the exposed subs in the trunk?
'96 MX-3 GS
mzdspd

Re: Bandpass vs. Enclosed box?

Post by mzdspd »

bandpass boxes are slightly louder than enclosed boxes. either way if its loud its gonna rattle. to protect the speakers you can put grilles on them or just be careful when u put stuff by them.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

bandpass boxes are usually only great at 1 or 2 frequencies... they usually sound like crap, and unless built perfectly, won't sound good at all.<P>usually its better/easier to go w/ ported boxes and and grill.<P>you can get some cool grilles... plexi/acrylic or some custom painted ones...
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
sheller

Post by sheller »

I personally like the enclosed boxes. They give a tighter, cleaner sound that is more accurate to the music. But, they do require more power to get as loud. Your best bet is to go down to a stereo shop and listen to examples of each and decide what you like best. <BR>Steve
LiL-LaW

Post by LiL-LaW »

I have a bandpass box and it sounds great the only problem with mine is that it's made out of pelxie glass and I can't use too big of a sub else I will blow the box apart =/, Even with my mtx thunder 6000's it shakes the s--- out of the box.
Tay69

Post by Tay69 »

Hey Lil-law, I saw your MTX bandpass box on sunday. It looked great. I think I'm gonna go with the Clarion 2x12" 500W enclosed box.
'96 MX-3 GS
LiL-LaW

Post by LiL-LaW »

Ya, it's mostly for show but still sounds great, I get enough bass from it to make me happy so it's a good balence :D
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

i have a dual 10" bandpass and it sounds good at all frequencies and really awsome at like 45hz and 90hz. if u just want something that is loud and sounds pretty good it is the wat to go but if ur going for spl go with a ported and if ur going for sq go with sealed
gmoney23

Post by gmoney23 »

bandpass damages your subs...dont use..<BR>i work for a sound store and we have ppl all the time come in saying there somthin wrong with there subs, when we go look...they have bandpass boxes..dont use them..it sounds louder but really damages the subs..stick with enclosed,sealed boxes
Garrett
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

hey garrett i have had my subs in a bandpass for months and they are fine they are even cheap ones that are rated at 150w rms and i constantly give them 250w rms every day. i have even burped them at 800w rms so i don't think its the box that is the problem as long as it is designed right for the subs<p>[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: mzdspd ]
LiL-LaW

Post by LiL-LaW »

Ya, I have no problems with my subs the way they are, but then again I don't really push them that hard.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”