is the stock radio worth it?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
saiyajin

is the stock radio worth it?

Post by saiyajin »

Hey when I bought my mx3 the kid took out the radio. So I went to a junk yard and found a stock radio with fm and tape for 60 bucks. However for an extra 100 I can get something new. All I care about is the watts per channel, does any1 know how much the stock pumps out? I found an aftermarket one that does 45 per channel, if any1 knows please elt me know I could not find it on the site<P>Ash
Talon_66

Re: is the stock radio worth it?

Post by Talon_66 »

I would personally go with an aftermarket CD or Tape Player. And the 45Wx4 is a peak, they usually run 22W per channel RMS. Depending on the internal amp.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

don't waste your time on stock if you are looking for power. It is at most 20w max(peak) per channel if not less. Some of the new sonys are claiming 52w max(peak) per channel, you could look into those as well. Aftermarket is probably your best bet.<p>[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: Maddbuck ]
Shades

Post by Shades »

Don't put in a stock stereo... I recently had to take out my Panasonic MP3 deck for repairs and put in the stock stereo... Oh gawd, it's sounds so tinny.<P>Go with aftermarket...
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

Yeah but you are obviously not using stock speakers? Would it makes any differences with stock speakers? When I put the volume quite high, I hear some distortion from the speakers, is it due to the lack of watt produced or simply to the poor quality of the speakers? I personally think they are quite good for factory speakers.<P>And I always hear a little feedback in the radio, I think my radio has a problem so I'll probably change it for a MP3 deck.
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

Don't go stock, there are so many advantages to aftermarket, including power. <P>Poor sound in speakers is probably from either deck, or speakers. If it's distorting across the spectrum it's probably from the deck. If it's just when there's bass, then it's the speakers, bass blockers will help in this condition.<P>The stock speakers aren't too bad, but upgrades are a must if you're serious about sound, or going to put a lot of power through them.<p>[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: tk1138 ]
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
saiyajin

Post by saiyajin »

well i took out the 200 watt monsoon speakers from my old camaro, so based on wat u guys said after market is the way to go
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

stock radio = crap. you're going to get about 5-10 watts per channel. aftermarket will give you about 15-25 per channel. (may not sound like a lot, but my eclipse 5442 puts out 13 watts per channel and it's loud as hell on my eclipse coaxials) btw, all the ratings i just gave were RMS...and yeah, i know that radios say "50 x 4" or "60 x 4" on them, but that's peak, you're never going to see that, unless you put in a tone CD, turn the volume all the way up, and then all the distortion will blow your speakers.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”