Alarm / Entry

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Oryuki

Alarm / Entry

Post by Oryuki »

I want to get alarm/keyless entry in my car, but the shop says it doesnt have power door locks. If I press the lock on my driver door, the passenger door locks. Was this a problem for anyone else and this guy is just full of it, or what?<P>Thanks<BR>Ryan
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Alarm / Entry

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

take it to a better shop, keyless entry can be added to any car, they just dont wanna do the work. In order to have keyless entry on your car you must add a door actuator.. a mech that expands/contracts to push/pull the door lock rod. 10 buck item, but a store will easily charge you 50 if they install. Search for more info
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Oryuki

Post by Oryuki »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:<BR><STRONG>take it to a better shop, keyless entry can be added to any car, they just dont wanna do the work. In order to have keyless entry on your car you must add a door actuator.. a mech that expands/contracts to push/pull the door lock rod. 10 buck item, but a store will easily charge you 50 if they install. Search for more info</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>"If you already have power locks, you only need one actuator. "<P>That was said in another post about this, i think it may have been from you infact. I dont have a "power lock" button like any other cars I have seen, but if I lock the drivers side, the passenger locks, and unlocking works the same way. Is this the "powerlocks" being referred to?<P>Thanks<BR>Ryan
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

yup that is what power locks refer to.<BR>You need to buy a door actuator to make them work with keyless entry. the passenger side already has the actuator , thats why it locks when you lock the drivers side. so the keyless entry need the activate a actuator on the drivers side to lock/unlock the doors. the good thing about this is that you only need to hook up the keyless system to the new actuator you put in to get the rest to work. I've done this to mine and the actuator cost $10 rather than the $70 the alarm installation people wanted to charge. I put my system in myself for around $70 if that.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

keyless entry is really not that hard to hook up, especially if you buy a kit with internal relays. If you have basic electrical knowledge (how to cut and splice wires), you could easily do it yourself. Buy an actuator from <A HREF="http://www.partsexpress.com" TARGET=_blank>www.partsexpress.com</A> for 10 bucks, you want the larger version not the smaller. Even if you take it to a shop i still suggest bringing the actuator with you.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”