2 subs in bandpass, 6.5 pols and 250 watt amp...

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
macnwigs

2 subs in bandpass, 6.5 pols and 250 watt amp...

Post by macnwigs »

Ok guys, I'm so green at this car thing it's silly! So be nice! My brother-in-law gave me two 12" subs in an enclosed box (one small 4" vent hole) a 250 watt, 2 channel "Craig" amp, and 2 6.5 polk audio speakers. My buddy said you coun't hook the subs and the speakers up to the same amp so it doesn't sound all that great...Good thump, but my speakers seam hollow sounding.<P>Does anyone know a better way to hook these up or a suggestion on what I might need (reasonably priced) to help increase the sound quality of my 6.5's?
"A man is only as old as the woman he feels"
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
codyhoover

Re: 2 subs in bandpass, 6.5 pols and 250 watt amp...

Post by codyhoover »

your buddies right. do you have an aftermarket deck? if not get a new deck thats 45wX4 or better and push the 6.5s off the deck. or get another amp.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
macnwigs

Post by macnwigs »

I have a JVC deck that's 40x4...It sounds ok I guess, I was just wondering how to make it sound better without spending alot of dough
"A man is only as old as the woman he feels"
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macnwigs:<BR><STRONG>Ok guys, I'm so green at this car thing it's silly! So be nice! My brother-in-law gave me two 12" subs in an enclosed box (one small 4" vent hole) a 250 watt, 2 channel "Craig" amp, and 2 6.5 polk audio speakers. My buddy said you coun't hook the subs and the speakers up to the same amp so it doesn't sound all that great...Good thump, but my speakers seam hollow sounding.<P>Does anyone know a better way to hook these up or a suggestion on what I might need (reasonably priced) to help increase the sound quality of my 6.5's?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Dont hook up your subs and speakers to the same amp. <P>Run your subs off the craig amp and run the 6.5" speakers off another 2 channel amp. If you want rear speakers run them off your deck.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

couldnt you run the subs in a series on one channel and the polks on the 2nd chanel in a series........<P>but it would cut the ohms in half<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
loudsubz

Post by loudsubz »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monty73741:<BR><STRONG>couldnt you run the subs in a series on one channel and the polks on the 2nd chanel in a series........<P>but it would cut the ohms in half<BR>jason</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If you did that it would sound really bad. Its only 2 channels, so you would have no control over anything. Both the speakers and subs would be receiving the same wattage and same freq as the subs. With the subs you would have to set the LPF to about 80hz or so, thats means the 6.5" polks would only see below 80hz signals.<P>Its not a good setup at all. Just buy another amp for the polks and use the craig for the subs.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”