i'm not sure that up is best for subs...

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

i'm not sure that up is best for subs...

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

i tried different positions today in my hatch with my box, i'm replacing it with a self-made custom, to test the sound levels. i found that the bass hit hardest when the box was faced towards the rear, not up as most ppl suggest. my box looks similar to this:<BR>___<BR>___\<-subs | <-rear of car<P>the subs are angled. can anyone disprove my findings, because i have a really tight box i was about to build, but the subs would face up.<P>Help!<P>------------------<BR>93 MX-3
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
MX3RS

Re: i'm not sure that up is best for subs...

Post by MX3RS »

That is almost the best way you could have it. I used to have 3 10" subs inverted and they all 3 faced directly to the back of the car. It hit so damn hard! I took it to get metered and I hit 144.7dB with that set up.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

What I would suggest is take your car to your local audio shop and see if they have a dB meter. If they do (and will let you use it) I would put your box in different possitions, and test the dB. NOW, one setup may be louder while another may be clearer. You don't want a direct reverb onto your cone, or it will muffle the sound. I think that is why most people prefer to face it upward, less reverb, clearer sound. Hope it helps.<P>~Ryan~
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

thx guys. i think i'm gonna see what kind of dB meters radioshack sells soon(i think they only go up to 129dB though). i guess it's back to the drawing board. anyone have any ideas?<P>------------------<BR>93 MX-3
02 Protege DX Retired
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Either way you go, I would put it in a Folded Horn box, or port with Aero ports. Let me know how it sounds, and where you faced them.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

well, i'm not porting it because the subs require about twice as much arispace if you port the box.<P>------------------<BR>93 MX-3
02 Protege DX Retired
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

It also gives you twice the thump. If you put polyfill in it, it won't take up as much space. See the specs and then see how small it can go if you put in polyfill. I believe if you use 1lb polyfill per 1ft³ of box space, you can cut the box volume in half but don't quote me on that. Tell me how it sounds. Good luck on it all.<BR>~Ryan~
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

well, i'm not sure aobut porting quite yet. this'll be my first box and i want it to be fairly easy. here's a few pics of what i'm planing. <P> <A HREF="http://www.stormpages.com/rabiddesigns/subbox.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.stormpages.com/rabiddesigns/subbox.html</A> <P>the box will have black carpet and plexiglass for the JL Audio symbols. any suggestions on wether i should have them out of clear, green, or green mirror plexiglass. i'm gonna have green neons lighting them up.<P>------------------<BR>93 MX-3<P>[This message has been edited by -=deathtrap-mx3=- (edited September 15, 2001).]<P>[This message has been edited by -=deathtrap-mx3=- (edited September 15, 2001).]<P>[This message has been edited by -=deathtrap-mx3=- (edited September 15, 2001).]<P>[This message has been edited by -=deathtrap-mx3=- (edited September 15, 2001).]<P>[This message has been edited by -=deathtrap-mx3=- (edited September 15, 2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by -=deathtrap-mx3=- (edited September 15, 2001).]
02 Protege DX Retired
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

I have 2 JL audio 10's in a box that I made and it seems to be loudest when the subs are facing the rear of the car and the box is butted against the back seat. I have tried facing them upward and the sound was just a little clearer, but with the rear hatch cover in place, it was not as loud.
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

hey man my 2 12" MTX 8000's are in a Q Logic box that faces the back glace at a little bit of an angle. it's retardedly loud b/c it bounces off the glass and hits you in the back of the head. I'm only pushin like 180 per sub. the angled box it a good setup for any hatch back
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
mx3ADAM

Post by mx3ADAM »

i have 1 15" sub faced up, in a 6 cubic foot box, and it hits around 152 db, so... yeah!!!
I EAT HONDAS FOR BREAKFAST!!!<P>MMMMM HONDA, TASTES LIKE "CHICKEN"!!
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

pre fab boxes suck! :p i have an infinity perfect 12 on a 340rms lighting audio. i had a prefab box that was suposedly the s---. it was 1ft3, seeled 5/8in medite, liquid nails,yada yada........ and it only hit 135db. but it also rattled my entire car and sounded like s---. i built my own 1ft3 seeled box from 3/4in mdf, put screws every inch(probably overkill but oh well) and sealed all the seams with liquid nails and lined the inside with inch thick pollyfill. i will now hit 140bd with the sub facing forward. but the best part is my car no longer rattles.......at all. it also hits that hard with almost no distortion. the moral of the story. build your own box to the EXACT sub specs.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
KWK MX3

Post by KWK MX3 »

It seems that up IS the best way i find for <BR>15". It covers the most glass. I want to build a new box facing up but tipped back so the sub is parallel to the glass hatch. <BR>And who ever said that 15's dont have good response times must have been skimping on a quality sub.
KWK MX3

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”