More rattles than a hospital nursery!

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
mxcess

More rattles than a hospital nursery!

Post by mxcess »

I have two 12" subs in an enclosed box w/ a Jensen 400 pushing them. My problem is the speakers sound great, but all the plastic in the hatchback area tries to sing along with them! Does anyone have a cheap remedy to keep the plastic from rattling? Dynamat is expensive and I am not sure if you can mount it to plastic. Any help will be a god send. Thanks!<BR>P.S. I was thinking of stuffing some kind of foam in between the plastic and metal. Just a thought!
Dean Silver MX3

Re: More rattles than a hospital nursery!

Post by Dean Silver MX3 »

Try some weather stripping<P><BR>Dean
Image<P>Image
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

remove your spare tire and wrap it up in a towel or something. Also wrap the tire iron, the jack, and anything else that would rattle. I also jammed some old towels all around and under the spare tire, so it doesn't want to move at all. If the hatch is rattling try some electrical tape on the U shaped part of the hatch lid (the part that attaches it to the car). When I had two 15" rockfords, the major problem I had was the license plate rattling and also my (stock) muffler rattled around. I put some double sided tape on the license plate, but there wasn't anything I could do witht he exhaust. Hope that helps ya.<P>John Van Camp
Deano96GS

Post by Deano96GS »

I am having the same problem, although my rattle seems to be coming from 'inside' the bumper<BR>my spare tire and tire jack are secure as hell, yet something is rattleing like a ----- and its not the licence plate, so i cant think of what else it could be<BR>any other suggestions??<P>------------------<BR>Deano, 1996 Black GS<p>[This message has been edited by Custommx3 (edited June 24, 2001).]
Deano, 1996 Black GS<BR>http://members.shaw.ca/mx-three
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Hey I have the EXACT same prob with mine. It is something inside the bumper<BR>I think it is the actual bumper ratttling against the plastic bumper on the outside<BR>I am gonna try pusing up against the bumper and see if that helps. If it does you have to take the bumper off and put padding in between or maybe use canned foam. Good Luck<P> Jarid Perry<BR> 94 Blaze Red RS<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deano96GS:<BR><B>I am having the same problem, although my rattle seems to be coming from 'inside' the bumper<BR>my spare tire and tire jack are secure as hell, yet something is rattleing like a -----<BR>and its not the licence plate, so i cant think of what else it could be<BR>any other suggestions??<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><p>[This message has been edited by Custommx3 (edited June 24, 2001).]
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
mxcess

Post by mxcess »

I appreciate all the replies! I am just glad that it is not just me having to deal with this. I noticed that if you stick your hand thru the gap in the plastic bumper right above the licence plate, that the rattle seems to subside. I can't tell what is it that is making all the racket and I have not taken the back bumper off to investigate. I imagine one of these days I will tear it all down and do it right, but for right now I just open the windows and crank it up.<BR>Thanx again for the 411! Image
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

If you go to <A HREF="http://www.partsexpress.com" TARGET=_blank>www.partsexpress.com</A> they have a dynamat substitute that works well, plus it is relativly inexpensive. Like $1.90 for a 10" x 10" sheet. I'd check it out if you really want it to sound nice
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Make sure your box isn't touching the back of the seat or the sides of the trunk..it should be right in the middle of the trunk. When i put mine in, i just tightened a few screws, and nothing rattles anymore. <P>------------------<BR>~'94 GS
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom

Post by Guest »

I had the same prob too, but the rear cover is already padded with the impact absorber, my problem was the licence plate brace was broken and would vibe off the cover, chris
illapino

Post by illapino »

mxcess wrote:I noticed that if you stick your hand thru the gap in the plastic bumper right above the licence plate, that the rattle seems to subside.
good god. i hope someone's not driving the car when you're doing that!
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

OMG, talk about doing a search and bringing up the dead :lol:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

mxcess wrote:
I noticed that if you stick your hand thru the gap in the plastic bumper right above the licence plate, that the rattle seems to subside.

Might explain why the thread ended in 2001 if they had ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Tunes67 wrote:
mxcess wrote:
I noticed that if you stick your hand thru the gap in the plastic bumper right above the licence plate, that the rattle seems to subside.

Might explain why the thread ended in 2001 if they had ;)

Tunes67
LOL :laugh:
Image -Jim
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

why isn't there a thread about "how to stop the rattling" stickied or FAQed in the car audio faq/forum?

it woudl be hella usefull.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
superman_t11

Had the same problem

Post by superman_t11 »

Not a whole lot you can do about it. Seems as though the all the noice is coming from where the fuel tank sits and right behind the bumper its really annoying when you try to show off your sound system and you step out ur car and it sounds like it is going to fall apart.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”