CATEGORY: U Heat & A/C
SYMPTOMS: 000 All Symptom Codes
TYPE DESC.: Bulletin
SVC BULLETIN #: U-002/97
|SUBJECT: Rattling/Buzzing Noise During A/C Operation
|AFFECTED VIN RANGE|
See the bulletin for warranty information.
- This bulletin replaces the previously issued bulletin Cat. U 010/96.
A rattling or buzzing noise may be heard from the engine compartment while operating the A/C. This noise
may be caused by refrigerant pulsating from the compressor causing the pressure switch to vibrate against
the engine compartment bulkhead. To eliminate the noise, the expansion valve has been modified.
Customers complaining of this noise should have the vehicle inspected and if necessary, repaired according
to the bulletin.
- REPAIR PROCEDURE
- Start engine and run at normal operating temperature.
- Operate the A/C system at "MAX" with blower speed on "HIGH".
- Allow the A/C compressor to cycle at least three (3) times.
- Check the pressure switch area for noise.
- If the noise is coming from the pressure switch area, proceed to step #5.
- If the noise is not coming from the pressure switch, refer to the workshop manual or NVH manual
for troubleshooting and repair procedures.
- Replace the expansion valve according to the instructions in section G of the BETM.
- Always follow general shop safety practices and all safety and refrigerant recovery practices.
- Component failure may result if the system is not evacuated. Evacuate and hold vacuum at 29.9 inches
(760 mm-hg) for at least 15 minutes to ensure through evacuation.
- Charge A/C system (to 750 grams +/- 50) and verify repair.
- PARTS INFORMATION
- Expansion valve - BC1M-61-J14 Qt. 1 Interchangeability: A