Maybe an MX3 guy has been in this situation.....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Maybe an MX3 guy has been in this situation.....

Post by kulluminati777 »

I doubt it but here goes *breathing in

Ok so i have a challenge for you. I have a 1993 Mazda MX3 with a 2.5 KLZE swap. Three years ago i did a HEI and External coil mod on the car when it was a K8. When i did the 2.5 swap i just swapped over the modded disty and have been going strong for a year and a half (almost 2) I have recently got a OBD I VAF to the OBD II MAF conversion kit.

I have it all the KL47 MAF the OBD II millenia ECU the IAT and jumper harnesses. So today i took out my KL36 ecu and JE50 VAF to install the kit. I drilled a hole in my intake before the MAF for the IAT sensor and fit that in. I then found a 12v key on source in the fuse box and plugged it in. Then put the MAF in with my two 2.5 inch to 3 inch couplers brand new and plugged the MAF into the jumper harness then the jumper to the stock harness. Then i put the OBD II Ecu in and installed the jumper harness and plugged that harness into the stock harness. Still with me? Ok now I reconnected the battery and started the car up. It idled like garbage. So i shut it off and said "hey maybe i should reset the timing and TPS" seems smart right. Well when i jumped the ten and gnd i loosened up the TPS and jiggled it. I normally do the fan set technique to get it in the area then i use a multimeter. Well the fans never cut on.

I turned it all the way one way then all the way the next way and nothing. I then plugged everything new out and plugged in the old OBD I stuff and the fans came right on. So that rules out the fan broken. Then plugged all the OBD II stuff back in and the fan didnt work again. I hear a click somewhere (maybe the fan relay) but no fan operation. Ok so i say "well maybe because im not done" I double check everything is hooked up (OBD II stuff) and start the car so i can set the timing. The car cut off a few times but i moved the disty back and it stayed on. Then set the timing to 10° BTDC. The car ran rough but i thought that was normal in diag mode. I set the TPS with the multimeter and tightened it up.

I then shut the car off. Took out the jumper out ten and gnd and fired the car back up. The check engine light started flashing repeatedly. Also the car still idled like crap. I revved it a little and it cracked and pop and just smelled the gas so i know its running CRAZY rich OR the the coil isnt igniting and the flashing CEL is never a good sign. I know on the swap its supposed to stay lit because its a manual but flashing?!?! I know all the equipment is good because it came out of a running probe but the disty was unmodded. I know my motor is good because i was just driving around town yesterday with OBD I gear.

Ok so my questions are these;

Should i rewire my external coil to a newer diagram. Its currently wired to a 93.

Also whats with the fans. Has anyone else had this problem?

Whats with the flashing CEL. This means something serious right? like an engine damaged kind of thing.

Is the OBD II swap just not compatible with MX3´s kinda like some Xtremethings ECU´s are not???

Has anyone here done a OBD I to OBD II successfully with a external coil and HEI period???

Im thinking if not the coil and hei is just not compatible with OBDII stuff or i need to wire it to another year diagram. If someone has done the coil and hei than i can rule out those just not being compatible with OBDII stuff and rewiring it to another diagram. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long story but a true KL guru would want all the details
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Maybe an MX3 guy has been in this situation.....

Post by Daninski »

When you talk about the disty/hei wiring I know that on the OBD2 MX3 two wires on the three wire plug are reversed but I also think that the harness should of taken care of that but then again, who knows. :shrug:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

did you try contacting pilerd1? Im pretty sure hes messed around with those swaps alot on PT
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Can you post a wiring diagram of what you've ended up with - or...thought you've ended up with??? I'll compare to the 1993 original wiring diagram and try to advise...
1993 GS SE - "slow" (Stock) - SOLD
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1993 GS SE - acquired 4/28/2013, SOLD February 28, 2015

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Well you probably didn't need to do all that tps stuff if it was running fine before the MAF.

What I think is going on -

The MAF setup from the probetalk guy is for a KL02 VAF. So if you used the little harness also that he supplies for the VAF to MAF sensor, you'd have the wrong wiring since you have the JE50 and not the KL02 VAF (they have different wiring). If you could wire it accordingly it should work. It also explains the rough running, since that's similar to what happens when you use the wrong VAF setup in OBD1.

That's my guess, I could be wrong.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

There's that guy who's apparently an expert and sells kits, he posted it on the FB page not long ago. I would ask him....

Not that I would, the guy was a douche in the post, but I'd like to see him put arrogance to the test...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Michel,
he posted this on the probetalk forums too. Scott did actually reply in that post. His reply was the following:

"You need to scan the codes... "
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

*facepalm*
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”