Tails Lights Stopped Working [ SOLVED]

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
mazdaspeed23
antispam: No

Tails Lights Stopped Working [ SOLVED]

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

alright,

the tail lights were working fine with no problems, on the way home they just stopped. So my first guess was blowen bulb or fuse nope wrong.
Fuse, Bulb fine. Checked Relay it seems to be working according to my AllData the relay is under the dash on the passenger side. Not sure if would work but i turned on my light and pulled the relay but the lights didnt go out. So i went to the back to check for voltage, i cant seem to get a volt reading on the wires, however the brake lights, 4 way flasher, and reverse lights all work. The pig tail that runs from the lense inside the truck to the main wiring harness i unpluged and tried the lights (just to see if i was right) stepped on the brake pedal no brake lights, so i plugged the pig tail back in and they started to work again (brake lights etc) so to me that means there's power and ground coming from the main harness to the lenses. So if im getting power and ground from the main harness and to every other wire in the lense (reverse, brake, 4 ways) it would be fair to assume that power and ground should/would be going to the tail light wire aswell. I did a continuity test in the wires from the lense to the pig tail end, and no drops there. did a continuity test on the bulb and its good. I even changed out the 15amp fuse for the tail lights and still nothing.

So if anyone has anything else to offer that i can try that would be awesome and maybe ASAP. because my car is sitting in a hospital parking lot. the police wont let me drive it home i live 3 minutes from the hospital and he wouldnt let me take it home, instead he handed me a $110 fine. then tried to pick my car apart, telling me my exhaust is illegal, my HID's are aswell, my 4 way flashers are illegal.
Last edited by mazdaspeed23 on September 4th, 2013, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
1994 MX-3 GS Swapped ZE (Gone)
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport v8 Magnum
2007 Ford Fusion SE

WORK LOG: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=81232

My MX-3 is nothing without me, and i am nothing without my MX-3
Redline322

Re: Tails Lights Stopped Working

Post by Redline322 »

Did you check the brake light switch attached to the brake pedal? It would seem to me, if you are getting power and ground, then there must be something wrong with the switch not activating them.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

how would you test to see if its working for the tail lights? If the brake lights are working wouldnt that mean that the switch is doing its job?
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

problem fixed. Kinda like i thought nothing to do with the brake pedal. the power wire to the TNS relay was off some how, fixed it and now she works good again.
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”