New daily driver...

Off-Topic Discussions
wytbishop

New daily driver...

Post by wytbishop »

OK...I want you all to know that im not going anywhere. I still live my Black Beast and it will be with me forever, but it is just no longer practical for all my needs. So I've been looking for a mid size truck or a just the right SUV for a while now. Unfortunately Mazda doesn't really have anything like that. After looking at the CX's I just wasn't happy with the cargo capacity and they just didn't feel right.

I want you all to know that I did my best to remain loyal. Finally I started looking at the Toyota Tacoma. I knew what I wanted so I went into the dealership to drive one....

...then this happened...

It was love at first sight. Fully loaded Trail Teams edition. One of only 15 made for Canada with the 6MT. It drives like a tank and is somehow still very light on its feet.

The MX-3 is going into storage for now. Soon the refurbishment will begin. That will be a whole thread of its own. Look for it thus winter.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Savin

Re: New daily driver...

Post by Savin »

Very nice! those things are darn near bulletproof! I've been looking for a new daily as well. Either a 4door/wagon or a truck.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

To be clear this is not my actual truck...it's a picture of the exact model in another dealership...and it's not blue...it's Cement Grey...it just looks baby blue in the picture.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Surgeonasst222
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

Nice ride! Try not to roll over us mx-3 with your tank when you have it on the road ;) :lol: :mrgreen:
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Good bye fuel economy. :lol: Honestly, very nice love the look. Take some pics of yours when you get it, interior and engine shots as well.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

It still gets 24 on the highway...21 in the city...supposedly. I'm going to take it to BC in a couple of weeks so I'll report my fuel economy findings when I return.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
benyandthejets

Post by benyandthejets »

Love the car and the color. Congrats
93 Blaze Red GS
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

lol yeah fuel economy gone but that things looks cool. Any plans? or are you leaving it stock height and tire size.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Nice addition Charlie, Ihaven't driven one with the 6MT but the auto I drove was really nice. They've got pretty nice interiors too.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Surgeonasst222

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

kulluminati777 wrote:lol yeah fuel economy gone but that things looks cool. Any plans? or are you leaving it stock height and tire size.
I am sure he wants worse gas mileage with those upgrades :laugh:
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I'm going to leave it stock for now. There will probably be a front bumper change + winch in the future. I really like the wheel/tire combo the way it is, but down the road I wouldn't be opposed to bigger wheels and some flares.

Before I do anything to this one though, I'm going to rebuild the MX-3.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

cool, Good idea with the winch too. Yeah get the MX3 is number one. Very good decision lol
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I really like Funky Jumbo Cruisers!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Thanks! I don't really love the base models but with the roof rack and rock rails and the offroad wheels and tires I really like it a lot.

It drives nicely and feels extremely stable. The gearbox is geared quite low. It doesn't have a ton of HP but the torque is very good. 260hp/270ft-lb. In 4L it will be a total stump puller. I'm looking forward to getting off road a bit.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Nice! I looked at going Toyota when I was truck shopping but they were $10K more expensive, and with planning to off-road, means a more affordable truck meant cash to spare for mods (and breakages) and I wouldn't feel as bad off-roading it. Plus having a contract job I didn't get to get a truck I couldn't afford if I lost my job; low and behold the economy took a dump and I was kicked to the curb several months later...almost 5 years later and I still have my Xterra ;)

I'm not a fan of the FJ, but I respect it as a truck and it does work very well off-road and with a good aftermarket suppose, I've seen a few that I really like done up.

I did look at trying to stick with Mazda, looking into the B4000 and Ranger FX4-LLII, but the small pickup doesn't really give me the functionality that I wanted...I have little use for a bed, and the cab is too small to be functional. The SUV body is very much handy and useful in comparison, and it's nice to be able to carry 4 passengers, and she's built on a full frame from a Frontier pickup (the 2nd Gen 05+ uses the Alpha frame from the Titan), and your FJ has a real frame too, so despite the SUV jokes, she's a real truck underneath.

For mileage, it depends on the truck, but my lifted truck with off-road 32" tires, loaded to the brim and my RTT on the rack had gotten the same mileage as when she was stock with street tires...it's just my ECM that has PMS and affects my mileage...She's inefficiently efficient, which is good in some cases ;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Off-Topic”