'94 KLZE w/ a side of WHAT THE *#&@

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
canadienne
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

'94 KLZE w/ a side of WHAT THE *#&@

Post by canadienne »

Okay. Long story short, I bought the car with a high idle (should have been a red flag). Previous owners had chipped the ECU (stock or ZE is unknown at the moment) but hadn't adjusted the throttle position sensor. They gave me all the information I needed to do the adjustment but I don't trust myself so I took it to a mechanic.

After cleaning the TB they got the idle down, but it sputtered out (red flag number 2). It was either getting too much gas or not enough air, right? Right. Turns out it was both, but we'll get to that later.

I picked up a KL01 ECU from an MX-6 (and before anyone gets huffy, it worked so whatever) so we could get it to run long enough to get the OBD1 codes. It came up with a vacuum leak and a fuel leak, go figure.

Fast forward to today...

My fuel lines are made out of washer fluid lines. My intake manifold had some weird never seen before gasket siliconed in, which oddly enough is where I was losing most of the air AND fuel. My fuel rails are broken and have welded pieces on them to make up for the broken ones. The air intake is made out of PVC piping and about 30 hose clamps.

I'm at a loss of where to even start. Any suggestions ??
RobMinhas

Re: '94 KLZE w/ a side of WHAT THE *#&@

Post by RobMinhas »

Time to rip it apart and rebuild I think.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

First off, that sounds like my '92. :lol:

Secondly, I would start with trying to get your money back.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

MrMazda92 wrote:First off, that sounds like my '92. :lol:

Secondly, I would start with trying to get your money back.
+1 unless you have the funds and time to rebuild this motor
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

Make a list of what you need an hit up pick an pull! There are usually a few KLs in there at one time!

Also what part of Calgary are you in cause there are a few of us in town I'm in Coventry in the north!
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

NOt to mention between us theres a ridiculous amount of parts.

Theres also a $240 KLG4 in town as well...
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
canadienne

Post by canadienne »

I'd love to hold on to it, but student and girl are definitely working against me right now but I'm doing my best to overcome all of my situations haha. Driving a '94 buick is definitely motivating me to do so anyhow.

I did the pick n pull trip last weekend-- the only KL was the DE I pulled the ECU from. Would DE fuel rails be similar to the ZE? Mech says new manifold... it looks fine to me (but I could be looking at a piece of garbage for all i know).

I'm in Temple! I work up in coventry (you see a parks truck it's probably me). We drove past an MX-3 the other day... what are the odds??
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z501979828

DE rail should work, if you can use a K8 manifold I;ve got a spare one.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well you should be able to find a new millenia manifold rather easily for under 100 bucks. I would think the manifold is probably fine, just replace the appropriate gasket with what is needed. You should try and take pictures and we might be able to help you out a bit more. :) sorry for the bad luck, but we will try and help. most of us have stock piles of parts... I have a DE mani laying around off of a MX6... 10 bucks plus shipping from WA to you. if you get desperate and cannot locate another.
canadienne

Post by canadienne »

For everyone's viewing pleasure (Warning: may cause tears of sadness)

WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

- Use the DE fuelrails (it's thesame)
- Create a decent intake (no airleaks after the VAF)
- Use some decent fuelhose
- check for broken vacuum lines

Start from there.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Tavman_1213

Post by Tavman_1213 »

The intake surface looks good to me(good job on cleaning the surface) it just needs a new gasket and you should be able to get it up an running. Just clean the out side of the intake to check for any cracks which you probably wont find. It would probably be a good idea to re-seal/ replace you throttle body gasket as well.
If your in Coventry a lot you might see my white one running around. Or if you see a giant getting out of a white MX that's probably me.
93 White RS- BPT Built not bought!!
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78988
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok, my suggestion before you do any thing is to do a compression test. Since the engine will be checked cold a compression test of around 200psi is fine but 220 is a number you would look for if your engine was warm. If that's no good then it's time to make a big decision. This is a 94 and as such be advised the distributor you have is unique to that year. Vacuum lines are always a bugger to get hooked up right and most of us have gone through that issue when installing a ZE so we can help you there.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Post by mx3_ryder »

http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81094

K8 & KL fuel injectors/rails forsale
canadienne

Post by canadienne »

I knew I could find a better picture of the fuel rail...

I've heard of people doing something like this to make enough space for the throttle body, but this is where I was also losing a lot of fuel (shocker). Has anyone seen a modded fuel rail? :?:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”