catch can breather or no? why?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

catch can breather or no? why?

Post by wednesdayslatest »

i was looking to get a catch can i understand that since i have an SOHC and its NA i dont really need it but i kinda do either way im going to get one

my question is this.

some have a breather on it how does that make it function better?

and is it really better to have one with it on there or not?
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
Demonic1

Re: catch can breather or no? why?

Post by Demonic1 »

Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
wednesdayslatest

okay thats a lot of into i just read a bit and scrolled through the rest it still doesnt mention anything about a breather attached to the can
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

Im my opinion I think it is benficial even on a N/A motor

I had a cheap ebay one (just an empty can) before i came to the states and at least once a month it would be full from a gas oil mixture that im sure any other time would just gunk up the manifold. I could only imagine a good one with baffling and what not inside

I say clean the crap out of your intake and put one on. It wouldnt hurt. I bet it improves performance a tad and MPG a bit as well.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
wednesdayslatest

kulluminati777 wrote:Im my opinion I think it is benficial even on a N/A motor

I had a cheap ebay one (just an empty can) before i came to the states and at least once a month it would be full from a gas oil mixture that im sure any other time would just gunk up the manifold. I could only imagine a good one with baffling and what not inside

I say clean the crap out of your intake and put one on. It wouldn't hurt. I bet it improves performance a tad and MPG a bit as well.

yeah im going to but im wondering if i should get just one can or the more expensive one that has a little breather on the top (assuming it would be beneficial)
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well it is to catch the oil blow by. This happens more frequently under boost, but it does happen on N/A motors as well. Especially when they start to get a little tired. A couple of ways to tell: Is your intake pipe or TB have oil residue in it? If you have a breather on there then that would not tell you much so the other way is with the engine warm if you are idling or revving it out do you see anything come out of the breather? You will also get residue in your intake if your PCV is bad or warn out.

I am going to put a catch can on my GS and I am N/A. I burn a lot of oil so I want to eliminate all factors before I rebuild it.
wednesdayslatest

Josh wrote:Well it is to catch the oil blow by. This happens more frequently under boost, but it does happen on N/A motors as well. Especially when they start to get a little tired. A couple of ways to tell: Is your intake pipe or TB have oil residue in it? If you have a breather on there then that would not tell you much so the other way is with the engine warm if you are idling or revving it out do you see anything come out of the breather? You will also get residue in your intake if your PCV is bad or warn out.

I am going to put a catch can on my GS and I am N/A. I burn a lot of oil so I want to eliminate all factors before I rebuild it.

yeah i do have oil residue there on the inside
i just replaced my pcv valve tonight literally

maybe im not reading your post right
but the breather im talking about...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230908624294?ss ... 1423.l2649

is on the can

or they have one like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-BLUE-7 ... b0&vxp=mtr

they also have a different design....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350ml-CHROME-OI ... d5&vxp=mtr

they have 350ML and 750ML ones. i understand why i need it and kinda understand how to hook it up already (by reading someones worklog) i just need help deciding what one to buy, one with a head or not? 350ml or 750ml? obviously i know there is a size difference but is there any pros or cons? other then the size difference?
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

IMO I would go with one of the last two. The breather on the top is kind of odd. Out of the 3 I would go with the second one.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Josh wrote:IMO I would go with one of the last two. The breather on the top is kind of odd. Out of the 3 I would go with the second one.

+1

the breather is unnecessary. None of the brand name ones with baffling have it so why buy a cheap one with it.

I had the blue one. Be careful with the top inlet and outlet pipe fittings. There real fragile. There not mounted on too well.

The tubing cracks from getting to hard from the heat in the bay.

But the can will still keep alot of gunk from going back into the intake.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
wednesdayslatest

thanks guys, i was unaware the good brand names didnt have a breather on it, so it would make sense. im going with the 2nd one; that was my original choice.

yeah i dont check all my hoses enough i should just replace them all but dont got the money for that right now and nothing is cracked yet but ill keep an eye out.
wednesdayslatest

i have another question about this.

can i have two?

one for the pvc line and one for the line that goes from the valve cover to the intake arm?

the intake arm has some oil up in it so i figured two catch cans would be better then one lol

if its a good idea im going to do it all when i replace my intake and switch to a VAF :)
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

wednesdayslatest wrote:i have another question about this.

can i have two?

one for the pvc line and one for the line that goes from the valve cover to the intake arm?

the intake arm has some oil up in it so i figured two catch cans would be better then one lol

if its a good idea im going to do it all when i replace my intake and switch to a VAF :)
It will hook up to both. One end goes to the PCV then other end goes to the intake.
wednesdayslatest

Josh wrote:
wednesdayslatest wrote:i have another question about this.

can i have two?

It will hook up to both. One end goes to the PCV then other end goes to the intake.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3434_o.jpg

not sure if you can see this picture or not (let me know)

there is the line that goes from the pcv to the intake manifold

then there is one that goes from the valve cover to the plastic intake arm, both have oil pass through, MAYBE it was just because i had a leak with the pressure through the spark plugs before and it just pushed up maybe not because ive had oil in the intake arm before just not as much as i cleaned before....

thats why im wondering because i cant cross the lines or anything i have to keep them seperate they got to two separate parts from the valve cover
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Yeah that is a little jacked up. I did not remember the sohc being like that. What I would do if I were you is just run one. I would run it on the PCV side.
That is what is going to cause it to smoke. The other one you could probably block off if you wanted. But I would clean it all out with carb cleaner.

Usually it goes from the PCV to the intake tube not the IM directly.
Surgeonasst222

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

Yup that looks like mine :)

I am not burning any oil... But I am thinking about using one if these as it will happen sooner or later :)

Thanks for the help guys...
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”