How to time cams?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Thefez
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

How to time cams?

Post by Thefez »

Does anyone know how to time the V6 cams befor you time to motor? I just got COLTS and there no marks to line them up that i can see.... any help?
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: How to time cams?

Post by Sleeper6 »

92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Aren't colts just original cams that have been ground etc? They should still have the indents, though I could be wrong.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
atx_mx3

Post by atx_mx3 »

RX8SE3P wrote:Aren't colts just original cams that have been ground etc? They should still have the indents, though I could be wrong.
That was my understanding. Different grind, same main gears and the keyways didn't change, so the cam gears don't change either.
1993 Mazda Mx-3 GS-Sold :(
1992 GS "The Bucket" Gone.
1993 GS 2.5 KLDE. Current daily.

92 GS 5spd for sale! Sold it....after I got a hatch cover in great condition :evil:
92 GS Auction Car, most expensive non-running mx-3 I have ever bought... Parted out and Crushed.

MY WORKLOG, check it out :) viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79959
davmac

Post by davmac »

Kind of a trick question. The marks are not on the cam shaft itself, but on the helical gears on the front of each cam shaft and the timing belt pulleys that you attach to 2 of the cam shafts.

But, I agree that there is no one easy place to answer your question. Bottom line is two sets of marks must be lined up.
1. The helical gears are on the front of each cam shaft. The helical gears have marks on the back that must be lined up for intake and exhaust cam shafts to be synchronized in each bank. See online manual section B2-77 - it covers install of cam shafts.

2. The timing belt pulleys that are bolted to the 2 cam shafts have marks. Use the marks on the cam shaft pulley to set cam timing - or synchronize the cam shafts with the crank shaft. See online manual section B2-12 regarding timing belt install.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”