MegaSquirt for KLZE

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
mazdaspeed23
antispam: No

MegaSquirt for KLZE

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

Hey guys, i know this question has been around the corner and back plenty of times. but ive been doing some searching on here but im not finding the questions that i have. with that being said heres my questions:)

1. looking on http://www.stratifiedauto.com/ they have a MegaSquirt ECU standalone for Mazda mx-3 1.8v6 and Ford probe KLZE 2.5l v6
its plug N play, so my question is, if i was to buy one for my 94 mx3 KLZE is it just a matter of unplugging my wires from my ecu and just plugging them into the MegaSquirt ECU? and its done?

2. Ive also been doing some research on the probinator chipped ecu. according to the founder its only for boosted KLZE's
so what other chipped ECU's are out there for the ZE that is NOT BOOSTED, and will provide better spark, maping etc?

3. what exactly does MegaSquirt do for non boosted cars? and is it worth the money?

any help would be great guys

Thanks. Mazda speed
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
1994 MX-3 GS Swapped ZE (Gone)
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport v8 Magnum
2007 Ford Fusion SE

WORK LOG: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=81232

My MX-3 is nothing without me, and i am nothing without my MX-3
wytbishop

Re: MegaSquirt for KLZE

Post by wytbishop »

mazdaspeed23 wrote: 1. looking on http://www.stratifiedauto.com/ they have a MegaSquirt ECU standalone for Mazda mx-3 1.8v6 and Ford probe KLZE 2.5l v6
its plug N play, so my question is, if i was to buy one for my 94 mx3 KLZE is it just a matter of unplugging my wires from my ecu and just plugging them into the MegaSquirt ECU? and its done?

It depends on what cinfiguration you have and what optional stuff you do. If you choose to eliminate the VAF you will need ot wire in a GM IAT sensor for example. If you want to use a sideband O2 monitor you they can set up the ECU to use that information and you would have to install the sensor. If you just want to replace the ECU so that you can update things like that in the future it is pretty much plug and play.

2. Ive also been doing some research on the probinator chipped ecu. according to the founder its only for boosted KLZE's
so what other chipped ECU's are out there for the ZE that is NOT BOOSTED, and will provide better spark, maping etc?

The Probinator is NOT for boosted cars. A probinator chip simply remaps the stock fuel map, resets the VRIS points and stops the stock ECU from reporting the EGR codes. In a boosted application you would need either a mechanical means of metering the fuel (FMU and Rising Rate FPR) or an electronic engine management system that either piggybacks the stock ECU or stands alone...like the MegaSquirt or many other varieties.

3. what exactly does MegaSquirt do for non boosted cars? and is it worth the money?

On a naturally aspirated car the MegaSquirt allows you to do the things I've already mentioned. Eliminate the VAF, eliminating the distributor is common. On an NA car it allows you to tune the engine in a way that the stock ECU doesn't. If you want to go to turbo down the road, you will need it (or something like it) if you want to do the job correctly.

You have to decide if it's worth the money.

any help would be great guys

Thanks. Mazda speed
Others will add I"m sure. Opinions may vary.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

if i wanted to do a supercharger would i need the mega?
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Any time you stuff more air into the engine than could get in there on it's own, you will need a way to measure the air and add the correct amount of fuel. The stock ECU is limited to calculating fuel based on what goes through the VAF. Then, it is limited as to how much fuel it will dump based on it's map. When you boost, regardless of how, you very quickly get to a point where you're adding more air than the ECU can provide fuel for.

Someone else with supercharging experience might want to get more specific about that.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RobMinhas »

I think Weede_Klze did it that way, you should talk to him.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

In all honesty, you need to read a lot more.

If you're asking what MS does, you haven't read a lot. You will struggle and fail if you attempt the project with your current level of knowledge.

Its good that you are asking, and we will help you, but don't approach it with "I've done some reading but can't find what I'm looking for".

You won't find a neat little 3 paragraph post explaining everything you need to know. You need to do 3 months of research and read until your eyes bleed, scab over, bleed, and scab over again.

So, the basics.

Read this: http://www.megamanual.com/index.html

I'm not joking. Its daunting, but it needs done.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

thanks ryan for the link i see i have a ton of reading to do.
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

I agree with Ryan...

I've been reading, asking questions and reading a loooonggg time and it's still hard to understand.

Installation is not that hard; understanding all the settings and how to read everything is.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

yea i've gotten that too. Seems easy to install just hard as hell to understand.
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

In the words of a great man 'johnnymx3', "if you want dependability stay away from turbo". Very true. Even with factory set ups a lot of mods need the car to be retuned or you risk engine failure mainly from lean fuel conditions. I use a Cobb accessport on my subie and the maps are tried and true. You'd need to go to a tuner shop like,,neetronics to get your fuel maps set once your engine is done. Dynos can be a strain on your engine so if it isn't in top shape you may end up kissing it good bye while getting it tuned,,,or not. :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mazdaspeed23

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

ya i've thought about that too. I mean i like the car the way it is and what i've done to it. But there's always the thought in the back of brain that says " More power, i can beat anything" lmao. with more power comes more $$$$ bling
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
2007 Ford Fusion SE

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”