Mx3 v6 1.8 info

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Oke
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Mx3 v6 1.8 info

Post by Oke »

Hello everibody, i want to apologize if i posted in the wrong place. I just bought a mazda mx-3 1.8 v6 year 1993. I dont know much about this cars, and i need some help please. Maybe you can tell me wath to look at, and what to be awere, if the car has some hiden problems, and general info of taking good care after this car. I was thinking, about using this car at the drag races, what modification i can make, but not very expensive? Do i have a chance with this car in the 1.6-2.0 engine class?
Sorry for my bad writhing skils :).
I am from Romania, and i work for Festool Automotive here, i can help you with detailing advise if you want.
Thank you. :)
MX3 1.8 v6 GS '93
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Mx3 v6 1.8 info

Post by Josh »

Welcome! If you are looking for cheap swaps then look no further than the Mazda Millenia, 626, or MX-6. These all run a 2.5L than can be directly swapped into your 1.8L chassis. This is a 40 to 60 HP increase depending on what car you pull it from. There is plenty of information for the swaps in the V6 FAQ section just do some digging for KLDE or KLZE and you will quickly find the information you are looking for.

Cheers.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Well if you're up against civic type Rs etc at 200bhp it doesn't look good for you with a 1.8!

Best mod for the money IMO is a decent shape KLDE (or ZE if you can get it) as Josh said.

I suppose you could nitrous the k8 for cheap if it's just for drag racing.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

yeah please just swap out the 1.8 I wasted years with that big chunk of crap.

Once you upgrade your whole view on the MX3 changes.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Oke

Post by Oke »

Thank you, for the informations. I have no option in swaping the engine, because il move to another biger class even more powerfool. In this class are engines betwen 1.6-2.0 non turbo, cars like vw golf gti (mk2, mk3) renault 2.0, bmw 1.8-2.0 vanos, without nitro. I am a beginer in this races, and i dont want to start from the top. I want to know if i have a chance against the examples above, and wath kiind of modifacations i can make without investing a lot of money, but worthy. If you guys can help me with info il be very glad.
Thank you again :)
MX3 1.8 v6 GS '93
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Get a kfze 2.0 ;-)

Na power is expensive to make. Ideas:
Klze cams
Headers and exhaust
Decat
Intake - simplify piping with alu piping
Klg4 intake manifold

Decent tyres for a good 60ft may be your best investment !
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

marcdh wrote:Get a kfze 2.0 ;-)

Na power is expensive to make. Ideas:
Klze cams
Headers and exhaust
Decat
Intake - simplify piping with alu piping
Klg4 intake manifold

Decent tyres for a good 60ft may be your best investment !
I have been thinking about these upgrades for days, it is crazy to me that more do not swap these on their K8's to bring out some power. cams and intake with TB would be a very nice substantial increase over stock.
Oke

Post by Oke »

I was thinking about this modifications, i think they are worthy. I don't know how much approximately. The problem i encounter, is that i dont fiind parts here, can you help me with some shops or maybe some hints were to look. These upgrades, match the engine, do i have to make other modifacations to change the cams ori the manifold? My first stage is to remove catalyst, and grow the exhaust size, but i dont know to how much, and ad a cold air intake with a K&N filter. Maybe you guys can tell me, and alsow other modifications i can make, but not to change the engine, no nitro, no turbo, they are not a option, and if you think that is not worthy to make other kiind of modifications please tell me. Another question of the mark, i get a averege of 12-13L for 100km in economic driving, and the idle sits arownd 900-1000rpm, is it normal? Thank you very much for all the info ofered, and hoping for more, sorry fot the bad writhing skils.
I can help you guys with polishing details, and stuf like that, if somebody wants. :)
MX3 1.8 v6 GS '93
mikeetown
antispam: No

Post by mikeetown »

kulluminati777 wrote:yeah please just swap out the 1.8 I wasted years with that big chunk of crap.

Once you upgrade your whole view on the MX3 changes.

yes yes yes :D

but!!! I really did like the lightness and revving of the 1.8 on windy a-- roads. There is a difference in my opinion there but KLDE WIN!!
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Cheapest KF in town!

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/mazda/k ... 93-97.html

I hope you do a KF swap. Will a KLG4 manifold increase the power on a KLDE??? I have access to 3 KLG4 manifolds right now.
mikeetown
Oke

Post by Oke »

Hy again from Transilvanya.

I dont want to swap the engine, because is very expensive to deliver one here. And i have no buget for that, i was asking about the modifications that worthy to make on my 1.8 K8-DE, and not to be very expensive, i want to beat cars like vw golf gti (2.0 ABF), opel (2.0 16v) cars from that group. I am going to chane the exhaust size with a biger one with 5mm, make a cold air intake for the begining. I was asking about the fuel consumption in a post above, and the idle rev.

Thank you for the advises to change the engine but i can afford that right now, if you think that litle 1.8 is going to brake down and not manage a sporty driving style please leat me know.

Every advice is welcome, thank you again and sorry for the bad english. :)
MX3 1.8 v6 GS '93
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Simple upgrades
well, increasing the exhaust diameter from the catalytic converter to the back wone do much probabaly. putting a straight through non silenced muffler will give u better wheel horsepower by like 2hp probably.

getting a mx6 exhaust header and downpipe (headers bolt up and downpipe is the same as 1.8) and then taking it to a muffler shop to get custom welded so the y-pipe can go over the cross memlber will help a little bit more. The cold air intake will be good at your high RPM's for sure. (order integra GSR cold air 1992-4 on ebay and custom cut it to fit).

-Fuel pressure regulator will increase your throttle response and take out the dead spots in your engines rpm climb to 7000rpm. It worked weill for me.

-If you can, DELETE the EGR system (plug hole on rear exhaust manifold) and delete the catalytic convertor. It does wonders.

Reliability of motor
-basically, the k8 (k8 + 1.8 v6) is indestructible as hell. I've driven the piss out of them on this road near my place that 66km long and hit the redline probably 30-40 times along the way with no reliability issues. I just used 10w-30 and changed it every 3000km and used a good oil filter (not cardboard stuff like fram). When I reached 300,000 km i started using diesel 15w-40 during the summer so i could continue to rev the PISS out of the 1.8 V6 and still no problems at all!!! Engine just burns oil at high rpms.

Stuff I don't know but I've heard......
-I dont know, but maybe someone on this forums knows more about increasing the injector size of the 1.8v6 and how it fairs

-I'm also not sure about how a KLG4 (mazda 626 form 1998-2002) manifold helps this motor power wise. I have no idea but it sounds like i should tried this

Lighten your car up

i did this once.
-removed A/C
-removed back seat and all carpets
-remove all carpets in trunk
-----USE Dynamat to decrease the loud as road sound
-Remove things u dont need under the hood like cruise control, charcole canister
mikeetown
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Josh wrote: I have been thinking about these upgrades for days, it is crazy to me that more do not swap these on their K8's to bring out some power. cams and intake with TB would be a very nice substantial increase over stock.
Heh. Heh. Heh... Some of us have. :lol: Since having no luck finding a G4 locally, I put a KL01 intake/TB on my '92 and have been doing a few other things as well... That poor engine leaks like a siv, but I'm thinking about seeing what power I can squeeze from a tired/leaky K8.
mikeetown wrote:Simple upgrades
well, increasing the exhaust diameter from the catalytic converter to the back wone do much probabaly. putting a straight through non silenced muffler will give u better wheel horsepower by like 2hp probably.

Reliability of motor
-basically, the k8 (k8 + 1.8 v6) is indestructible as hell. I've driven the piss out of them on this road near my place that 66km long and hit the redline probably 30-40 times along the way with no reliability issues. I just used 10w-30 and changed it every 3000km and used a good oil filter (not cardboard stuff like fram). When I reached 300,000 km i started using diesel 15w-40 during the summer so i could continue to rev the PISS out of the 1.8 V6 and still no problems at all!!! Engine just burns oil at high rpms.
First off, THANK YOU for this post! :D
The K8 is a dream from a reliability standpoint... I've bounced mine off the limiter in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for minutes on end without dropping valves or any other issues(besides atrocious fuel economy, 5K+ requires a decent amount of throttle LOL). While I normally wouldn't openly admit that, I felt it was worth adding to the discussion.

My one point of contention is the exhaust, CorkSport found a gain of ~5 WHP just by removing the stock muffler, leaving everything else intact... With the K8 engine installed.

Running headers, a high-flow cat, and a free-flowing 2-2.25" exhaust, topped off with a DE/G4 IM and throttle body would put you a smile on your face for sure. :lol: You'd likely want to zip-tie your VRIS open though, otherwise it'll open at odd intervals.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Oke

Post by Oke »

Hy everyone,
I am going to cancel the EGR, remove the cat and ad a 60mm exhauste size from the front (down pipe) to the back, and sport muffler at the end. Ad a sport air filter with a cold air intake. MrMazda 92 can you explain wath to do with the VRIS system, more detaild because i am new with this system? What kiind of fuel presure regulator i have to instal? Are this two modifications hard to make, and the throttle body?
I have other questions if you can help me:
1. The engine sits arownd 900-1100RPM, and my fuel consumption is arownd 13L/100km in eco driving, is this normal?
2. What kiind of ET and J wheels is good for this car, to make the wheel come outwards, but not very out (to met the whell arch in the front and a little out from the back wheel arch) ?
3. My car puls only after 5000rpm, is it normal, what can i do to make it pull harder?

Sorry for asking maybe silly questions for you, but i am complecty new to this kind of cars. I don't want to be the same with everyone and buy a golf gti mk3 (150bhp) and work on that, and i want to beat these kiind of cars.

Thank you, and sorry for the bad writhing, i am learning. :)
MX3 1.8 v6 GS '93
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Oke wrote:Hy everyone,
I am going to cancel the EGR, remove the cat and ad a 60mm exhauste size from the front (down pipe) to the back, and sport muffler at the end. Ad a sport air filter with a cold air intake. MrMazda 92 can you explain wath to do with the VRIS system, more detaild because i am new with this system? What kiind of fuel presure regulator i have to instal? Are this two modifications hard to make, and the throttle body?
I have other questions if you can help me:
1. The engine sits arownd 900-1100RPM, and my fuel consumption is arownd 13L/100km in eco driving, is this normal?
2. What kiind of ET and J wheels is good for this car, to make the wheel come outwards, but not very out (to met the whell arch in the front and a little out from the back wheel arch) ?
3. My car puls only after 5000rpm, is it normal, what can i do to make it pull harder?

Sorry for asking maybe silly questions for you, but i am complecty new to this kind of cars. I don't want to be the same with everyone and buy a golf gti mk3 (150bhp) and work on that, and i want to beat these kiind of cars.

Thank you, and sorry for the bad writhing, i am learning. :)

Use 16" rims by the way. Lighter. 205/50/16 or 215/45/16

Well, these cars usually have a steady climb becuase of the VRIS so mayeb you have a solenoid not working or you just need to drive the car hard a bit.

Your fuel mileage is absolute s---. I would get about 480-500km a tank which i think was 10L/100km. thats average. With upgrades it should get better

Get a good quality regulator nearest to you. doesnt matter. Then, research online how to set it up. It mostly just gives your better response and a small horsepower gain.

You should really look into lightening up the car though. Lowering your car definately helps with fuel mileage. Less air underneath the car.
mikeetown

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”