Just Bought ltd time to work with please help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
10secondsatatime
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Just Bought ltd time to work with please help

Post by 10secondsatatime »

ok so hi im new to this forum and let me say to start for the last few months this forum has helped immencily with getting it running....
ps whoever posted the swap that ended with the idle learn procdure thank you your the only reason i passed etest no one else posted that in the swap instructions.

Name : rory
City: london on
Profession: 1st year apprentice on books probably more knowledge there though
vehicle: 12/93 mx3 gs ze

so how about some history
ive been driving the car for about ten days and have yet to get the saftey paper due to laziness and lack of funds but it passed etest first try yay me on the line but a pass none the less .
i bought the car from my roommate who baught it from a guy in grand bend who has no idea about cars and had his friend do all the work.

when i recieved the car it required a clutch.... done 96$ thanks lili
it had one hell of an idle issue would run from 500 rpm to 2500 and bounce back now it idles .... for a bit

currently running je50 vaf with k8 ecu
have a klde ecu in the trunk but could not make it run right

my biggest issues are currently:
1. a vaccum leak from somewhere i suspect when swap was done ell egr related lines were not blocked off

2. fuel filler there is an extreme amount of pressure built up in the tank every time i fuel it

3. i can smell almost pure fuel when idling(from emissins) running very rich any ideas cureently $20 gets me about 80km fml

4. need coilovers i need a front left strut for saftey and if i can find a used set or a cheap set of coilovers would rather go that route.

5. it had 205 55 15 on it currently running 195 65 because $6 a tire for winter tires rubs a little on left turns lol

i have a code for crank angle sensor ( 02 no NE signal)
i tried to test resistance of crank position(angle sensor got no reading assumeneeds replacement) but suddenly the engine light is going out once and a while (obd1)
also when engine is not at opereating temp it studders at 3000rpm weather light is on or not

well thats off to a good start on the amazing list of issues i have with this car
would like to be doing time attack and or drag by spring
davmac

Re: Just Bought ltd time to work with please help

Post by davmac »

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad it has helped you.

I hope you have found the online manuals. Even though they are for the K8 99% will also apply to all K series motors - especially the fuel and emissions troubleshooting section. Find the manuals here.

Definitely pull codes. Procedure is in the manual. Basically you will jumper TEN and GRD in the diagnostics box inside the engine compartment then turn the ignition key to on position (do not start the car). Check engine light will flash the codes. Look up codes and begin troubleshooting depending on what you find. Clear codes by disconnecting negative battery cable and pressing the brake pedal for 20 - 30 seconds. F2-76 and on is where you'll find many of the trouble code descriptions and trouble shooting procedures.

A couple of your questions:
- Surging or bad idle could be many things, but vacuum leak should be fixed first as it may also be the source for idle problems. Other possibilities are ignition related and believe it or not coolant related. Low coolant level will cause the idle to surge up and down.

- extreme pressure in fuel tank - try a simple fix first and get yourself a new gas cap. The vent on the current one may be blocked so the tank is not properly vented.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I suggest you install Firefox. It has spell check built in. Welcome to the forums and please use proper punctuation.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
10secondsatatime
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by 10secondsatatime »

Thanks for the suggestions I have the morning off tommorrow so I will have to check into a few things. I have learned the violent thing before I had hoped at the beggining that was all this was. Is there any reason the engine would be dumping fuel constantly .... stock ecu fuel pump rails. Thanks for the manuals link as well I'll read some more before I bug lol .

PS most of my posts are done from my phone proof reading is rather difficult.
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

The fuel problem is partially because of using a k8 ecu with a ze, either try to find a chipped ecu or the proper KL ecu so you arent running so rich. Other than that a basic tune up would help (plugs, wires, etc.) with some of the general issues as well and fix any vacuum leaks. You can always post in the WTB section with your location for some of the items you are looking for, you might even be able to find someone close from the site to give you a hand.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”