oil pump on KLDE need changing?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mikeetown
antispam: No

oil pump on KLDE need changing?

Post by mikeetown »

Just wondering,

I got a klde and before i swap the notorious into my mx3, i want to change what necessary . Im changing the valve cover baskets, out pan gasket , timing belt, water pump, and the other big one the OIL PUMP. The motor i got is from Japan and in immaculate condition. Looks like there is 20,0000 km on the motor or it was engine flushed in Japan 15 yeArs ago Haha. Anyway, ill post pics of under the cam covers when i get home.

Question: how reliable is the OIL PUMP and can i get away without changing it cause i don't have an impact air gun strong enough to remove the bolt on the harmonic balancer ????

I bought the OIL PUMP already. But Im having a pitching time Haha.
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
mikeetown

Re: oil pump on KLDE need changing?

Post by mikeetown »

And by the way, sorry for dumbass word mistakes because f--- YOU AUTO CORRECT on cell phone.
mikeetown
atx_mx3

Post by atx_mx3 »

mikeetown wrote:Just wondering,

I got a klde and before i swap the notorious into my mx3, i want to change what necessary . Im changing the valve cover baskets, out pan gasket , timing belt, water pump, and the other big one the OIL PUMP. The motor i got is from Japan and in immaculate condition. Looks like there is 20,0000 km on the motor or it was engine flushed in Japan 15 yeArs ago Haha. Anyway, ill post pics of under the cam covers when i get home.

Question: how reliable is the OIL PUMP and can i get away without changing it cause i don't have an impact air gun strong enough to remove the bolt on the harmonic balancer ????

If you have any doubt, change it. If you cant get the crank pulley off, put it in the car, start it and make sure your oil pressure switch is plugged in. It will tell you if the pump is bad. If it is, it can still be done when its in the car....just not as easy.
1993 Mazda Mx-3 GS-Sold :(
1992 GS "The Bucket" Gone.
1993 GS 2.5 KLDE. Current daily.

92 GS 5spd for sale! Sold it....after I got a hatch cover in great condition :evil:
92 GS Auction Car, most expensive non-running mx-3 I have ever bought... Parted out and Crushed.

MY WORKLOG, check it out :) viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79959
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Stick a socket on the bolt for your crank pulley, attach a breaker bar, pin the breaker to the ground and blip the starter. DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE, only blip it until it breaks it free. An impact gun can't touch that. :lol:

On a side note, DON'T USE AN OILPAN GASKET!!! Use a sealant, most people on PT recommend "Hondabond", it's supposed to be pretty amazing stuff. You can get it for relatively cheap at a Honduh dealership.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

mikeetown wrote:
To me thats kinda like having a winning lotto ticket and saying nah, i dont need to cash that in.

Anywho your going to want to take off the crank pulley bolt for your harmonic balancer anyways to change your timing belt, would be foolish not too considering what you already have, If not I did one in my drive after a tow home last winter so all in all they are not that hard to change.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Sleeper6 wrote:
mikeetown wrote:
To me thats kinda like having a winning lotto ticket and saying nah, i dont need to cash that in.

Anywho your going to want to take off the crank pulley bolt for your harmonic balancer anyways to change your timing belt, would be foolish not too considering what you already have, If not I did one in my drive after a tow home last winter so all in all they are not that hard to change.

lol you are right. i guess i totally forgot about that Haha s---.
mikeetown
davmac

Post by davmac »

Unless you are rebuilding this engine don’t change the oil pump. An OEM pump is recommended if you do replace it. Oil pumps are not failure prone and usually last the life of the engine. No one would change their oil pump just because they were changing the timing belt and components.

Really it sounds like you have a good used engine. Return the oil pump and add a real oil gauge if you must worry about oil pressure.

Since engine is outside the car being prepped for a swap figure out a way to jam the flywheel so it does not move while you torque the crankshaft bolt off. Without air tools you could remove the transmission inspection plate or starter and jam the flywheel with a screwdriver or chisel. And don’t forget that you can simulate an air impact wrench with a hammer and a long breaker bar.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Remember to change the valve stem seals. They have a tendency to dry up and start rotting without proper use.

I would recommend renting a buddy to get that bolt off, so he can use whatever apparatus needed to hold the flywheel steady while you yam on that bolt.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

davmac wrote:Unless you are rebuilding this engine don’t change the oil pump. An OEM pump is recommended if you do replace it. Oil pumps are not failure prone and usually last the life of the engine. No one would change their oil pump just because they were changing the timing belt and components.

Really it sounds like you have a good used engine. Return the oil pump and add a real oil gauge if you must worry about oil pressure.

Since engine is outside the car being prepped for a swap figure out a way to jam the flywheel so it does not move while you torque the crankshaft bolt off. Without air tools you could remove the transmission inspection plate or starter and jam the flywheel with a screwdriver or chisel. And don’t forget that you can simulate an air impact wrench with a hammer and a long breaker bar.
hmmmm. I'm just changing it cause I know a dude with an mx6 that had his KLZE oil pump fail and i didnt want that to happen to me......

also happened to my friend shawns boosted eagle talon 4g63 motor.

also, my 88 chevy haha. and with only 137,000km on it.

anyway....... its done
mikeetown

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”