Hood scoop photos!

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Hood scoop photos!

Post by MrMazda92 »

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I figure it's about time I gave it a shot. I figure if I may end up hating it, I'd rather hate it on a junkyard hood that costs next to nothing, so I'll test it out before I shell out for CF/FG.

Are there many clean examples of MX-3s with functional hood scoops? I've been looking for a while, and haven't found many functional ones at all... IIRC, a few of the U.K. MX-3ers have some, but I have been unable to find pictures so far.

I'd like a low profile scoop, with the entry roughly 1/3 of the way back(3" in front of the IM), and no taller than 1.25" please... If you can find anything that matches that, PLEASE let me know! :)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Hood scoop photos!

Post by mitmaks »

Kind of like Legacy GT? Image
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Custommx3 had a really nice one. His is from FX Designs. I really liked his, would of went that way, but perfered the CF hood route for mine.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/29889/199 ... #298890014
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Maks,
That's VERY close to what I'm looking for!! I like how it slopes down to flush with the hood almost immediately after the opening... It looks OEM, and that's what I'm shooting for.

Nd4Spd,
It's funny that you posted that, because I've been eyeballing that exact scoop for a while. I've seen it on 2 other CarDomain MX-3s, and it's the closest thing to my goal that I've found so far. It looks ridiculously clean on a white car, If only I could find a flat black MX-3 with it. :freak:
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Subaru has very tame hood scoop, yet functional. Mom drives 05 and I really like that car. This particular hood scoop is almost unnoticeable at first, compared to STI which is more of "in your face" Mopar Hemi hood scoop.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I can see that, I like the look but worry it wouldn't suit a curvier car like the MX-3 as well. :( Subies are boxy, at least compared to an MX-3...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

You could do a cowl hood, with just a slight cowl towards the back of the hood.
I have one on my Cobra but its more aggressive cowl hood.

Personally I think mx-3 looks nice the way it is.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I would say I like my invader hood but all the rain, snow, leaves, dirt get there and I'm going back to clean OEM look.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

My truck will eventually get a functioning Tacoma-style scoop on it, help blow cold air onto the supercharger. There's a hood scoop for the diesel Xterra I could use because it uses a TMIC, but that would have to, of course, be imported from overseas...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

mitmaks wrote:Personally I think mx-3 looks nice the way it is.
This sums up my thoughts as well... I want it for function only, I wish it could be invisible...
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
youdirtyfox

Post by youdirtyfox »

Mesh/alu bonnet louvres either side like a Jag XKR or Ford cossie might be quite subtle I think anything in the middle just looks too much like a snout!
(fine if you have a TMIC) but a bit nasty otherwise. Bonnet louvres facing backwards actually work by dragging the heat out from underneath .

you can buy pressed into a sheet of alu already and you could just flush them into your bonnet.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I've been thinking about it, too. I want to do a recessed scoop like this;
http://digitaldtour.files.wordpress.com ... c_0869.jpg
If you want it to be invisible, you could do one like mine in the turn signal, or like marcdh's, in the fog light hole.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Why can't you make a duct that take the top bumper hole for an intake?

Dear god, the OEM intake took air from the crack in from between the hood and bumper
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I should have specified, I forget that not everyone follows my worklog and plans. :freak:

This is NOT for cold air induction... It's to cool the intake manifold directly. I am using the left fog hole in my MazdaSpeed bumper for cold air induction, that problem is already 90% solved. I just need to figure out how I'll shape it, since those fog holes sit a little lower than OEM euro ones... I'll need to have an angled inlet, from the bumper to the enclosed filter. Keeping that part of the bay clean is going to be a royal PITA. That's for another time though...

Back on topic, I've thought a fair bit about using the top slot in the MS bumper for this purpose, but it's not close enough to the IM to force the air in that direction. I'd rather not cover up the front VC just to direct the air, so the hood scoop is unfortunately the only feasible option in front of me.

I just want it to look clean! :crying:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

THIS is what I would like!:

The mini has a similarly sloped hood... I may even be able to use this exact scoop, if I can find one for cheap enough. :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “Appearance”