Do Cold air intakes, WORK!!!???

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
WestcoastSpeeder
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Do Cold air intakes, WORK!!!???

Post by WestcoastSpeeder »

Everytime when i start my car in the morning, it feels hecka faster untill after few minites the engine stars warming up, And sucking hot air through my pod filter. Do cold air intakes acually make it faster, and anyone got any proof?? cause mightycarmods did a review on youtube saying it dosnt help. Please let me know, thanks!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Polonius
antispam: No

Re: Do Cold air intakes, WORK!!!???

Post by Polonius »

I don't know anything about it, but wouldn't that plastic scoop assembly be getting it's air from the very front of the car? And thus be "cold" air, unless it's been pulled off, of course.
1993 MX-3
B6 SOHC
170,000 k
Manual tranny
WestcoastSpeeder

YEa it does but not enough, i mean it gets hecka hot under the hood(at least in my car), and wind coming from the front plastic peice, mixed with hot engine heat will just make it warm not cold air. If brought all the way down to the bumper or bottom of the car it gets direct cold air which might acually change performence

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Cold air is denser than warm air, this is 100% tried and true.

Most "Cold air intakes" are nothing but bling, truth be told. To keep the air cold inside that piping, you need to insulate it thermally from the rest of the engine bay. This can be done in a few ways, but they all follow the same principle: Separate the hot from the cold via insulation.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
WestcoastSpeeder

thats what i thought thanks bro!!

RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Mighty car mods had a bit of a skewed test too, they used cars with high power which had stock intakes that were engineered to be optimal whereas other cars have intakes that are set up just for convenience. And with cars that are less powerful a small power increase would be more impressive then on an R34 Skyline.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
WestcoastSpeeder

dude i was thinking the same exact thing when watching that!! A skyline is a hecka expensive track car which had tons of thought put in on keeping heat away from the air filter!! mighty car mods needs to buy a cheap civic type car and do those type of test on that!!

RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

WestcoastSpeeder wrote:dude i was thinking the same exact thing when watching that!! A skyline is a hecka expensive track car which had tons of thought put in on keeping heat away from the air filter!! mighty car mods needs to buy a cheap civic type car and do those type of test on that!!
They shouldve just brought the blue turd in there, see how that went.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
WestcoastSpeeder

true dat!! the blue turd is awesome!! i wish they had those kind of cars here. OR like the mazda 323f, if the 323 was allowed here i would already be driving one cause that thing looks beast!!

kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

On a Mx3 its mainly for show. SPS motorsports Dynoed an MX3 with a true cold air set up and the the OEM box with little to no improvement. If anything it helps MPG :shrug:

BUT it didnt have outlaw spacers so maybe those including a cold air intake would help.....
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

When I get my dyno day, I'll show you all the difference between a non-insulated short-ram intake and a thermally insulated cold air.

It'll take 2 minutes to swap, and one extra pull on the dyno. Should be worth it, no? :lol:

I imagine the difference would net a few horsepower at the wheels, within reason.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, do it. Make sure they actually have some air going into it!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
WestcoastSpeeder

Yes!! do it and share the results please!!

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I will, but first I need to find a damn KLG4!!! :x

Once I source a solid swap candidate, I'll be able to get everything else moving. Once I have the tune figured out on the dyno, I'll swap from my insulated CAI to a short ram, to show the difference for everybody.

Granted, it won't be your typical KLDE/KLZE, it's a different setup but should still show the benefits of air temp changes.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
WestcoastSpeeder

well get to it!! :D hope you find the KLG4!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”