Looking to get new phone, need input

Off-Topic Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Looking to get new phone, need input

Post by mitmaks »

I have old "clam" cell phone by LG with AT&T. We have a family plan and pay $90 for 3 of us. I'd like to get something newer, that way I can have Pandora on there, search web, etc.
What do you guys suggest? I think $90 is bit too much. I have 200 text, unlimited nights/weekends, 550 minutes w/rollover minutes. I hardly ever use over 200 minutes.
I'm thinking about getting me "smart phone" :lol:
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
kakarot135

Re: Looking to get new phone, need input

Post by kakarot135 »

That is actually a pretty good monthly rate, I sell for a phone company, not just cell phones but home services as well. The Samsung galaxy series is great, as are the HTC one series. Stick with a known brand and you will be fine. Personally, I cannot stand the iPhone. But to each their own. But if you do go with that one do the 4s, not the 5
Kakarot 135
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

get the nexus 4. it's going to be around 300 with no contract and a great piece of hardware.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Anything Android. Apple is ok, but I like the little things that you can do with an Android, that are locked down or need Itunes on an Apple. I used a Windows phone, was not a fan, even worse than an iPhone with needing to install Zune.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I vote Android, also! I love mine, and it beat my girlfriend's iPhone in every contest we could come up with, so she got out of her contract, and got the exact phone I have.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I will never own another apple product as long as I live. That's the only input I can offer.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Wait for the nexus 4. Do not get a different device if you go android. I will give you or whoever a comprehensive list as to why If you want to know specifics. But I have owned almost every android phone from the g1 to the galaxy s 2. Yes that phone is old news but I refuse to buy any device on the market until the nexus 4 is available
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I've heard great things about the Samsung S3, I've messed around with an S2 and it was pretty cool. Personally I'm a blackberry guy, although I know they have some severe limitations and with the two Iphones I've had they've been absolutely terrible so I wouldn't reccomend them.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i can't really recommend anything cause i'm so biased towards androids but i've had my share of issues with the thing that i can't confidently recommend it but at the same time i hate iphones a lot so i can't recommend those either XD
One of the main issues i've had with both my android phones was that it randomly deleted my photos and i didn't back them up too recently before it happened so i lost a couple months of photos of my daughter so i'll always have that grudge against them.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I just got an iPhone5. Granted this is the first smartphone I have ever owned and the first new phone I have gotten in 6 years. I have AT&T and LTE is lightning fast compared to 4g. I don't have much to compare to but so far I am incredibly excited and impressed. :freak:
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Haha I hate to break it to you... LTE is 4G...
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I'm just a simple person (consumer), I don't know about the technical things in the background that make things work. It's all semantics as far as I'm concerned, what I do know are the actual speeds I have experienced :shrug:.

When I do a speedtest on 4g I get about 2.91 mb download speed, on LTE I've been anywhere from 15-60mb download speed.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

ooh... haha, AT&T, right... 3G is based on a technology called HSPA, which allows connections up to 3-ish mbps. Some allow a connection up to 7-8mbps. HSPA+, the updated version, allows higher connections on the same technology and equipment as 3G... but AT&T wanted to make a marketing gimmick due to T-Mobile's "4G" rollout (which was just a super fast HSPA+ network up to 42mbps and higher) and call their HSPA/HSPA+ network 4G as well... however ATT's HSPA+ network only puts out up to like 11mbps tops in most markets. So whether you're connected to HSPA or HSPA+ you'll be on 3G speeds.

LTE is much more advanced than HSPA or HSPA+.

So now you know the technical and are no longer a simple consumer, whether you care or not! muahahaha!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Nexus 4, November 13 sale date, a very reasonable US$299 for the unlocked version. :D That's what we mean 'Jelly Bean'. Probably be like $600. in Canada. :(

Edit. Oh gee I forgot to mention, Nexus 4 is not able to connect to LTE data networks. :dunno:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “Off-Topic”