brake problem and parts help question

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
scorpio_vette
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

brake problem and parts help question

Post by scorpio_vette »

so as i mentioned in the introduction section, i just picked up at

92 mx3 1.8L manual transmission non-abs. it needed alot of work, including COMPLETE rear brakes+1 caliper.

i replaced the rear passenger caliper, both rear rotors, all new pads, and hardware. cleaned and lubed everything, and everything is moving freely.

i cleaned, lubed and re-installed the front.

then i went to bleed the rear brakes, and even though there is "some" improvement over the way the pedal felt before, it doesn't feel like any other car i've ever owned (unless it had a leak) BUT.......i can't find a leak ANYWHERE, and the fluid isn't going down anymore (it was before, due to rear caliper leaking fluid).
the pedal goes down way to far, and feels like it has no effort or pressure until it hits the floor.
so i'm thinking that the master must be bad and internally bypassing somewhere. suggestions???

also, i need a master cylinder reservoir cap and seal (yes car did not come with one), and can't seem to find one anywhere. ideas???

could the missing cap be part of my problem??? (i've never had a problem bleeding other vehicles before without caps on them, but i've also never had an engine die on me when removing the oil cap while running, and apparently that's normal on these cars, so who knows. it's my first import. LOL)

thanks.
mitmaks

Re: brake problem and parts help question

Post by mitmaks »

So if you try to pump up pedal it won't pump up, in other words it doesn't get hard? Probably bad master cylinder.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
scorpio_vette

Post by scorpio_vette »

Sorry I missed a little detailed.

engine off/key off, pumping the brakes (such as during bleeding), it became firmer with each pump, but never as solid as other vehicles.

took it for a test drive today, and it was a MAJOR improvement over what they were when I brought it home (no kidding, considering there was nothing in the rear and a leak) and it felt like it slowed/stopped respectably, but it still didn't feel "all there".

I'm kinda thinking that the master cylinder might be "weak", or have a slight internal bypass leak, but small enough that it doesn't feel like a total loss.

Any suggestions on a replacement master cylinder reservoir cap???

Thanks.
jaydog is back
antispam: No

Post by jaydog is back »

You can get another cap, but they generally dont have a prob leaking that I know of.

If you can press the brake pedal while the engine is on and notice a "sinking" pedal, then the master cyl should be replaced - If you hold your foot on the pedal and notice the pedal going to the floor..
scorpio_vette

Post by scorpio_vette »

jaydog is back wrote:You can get another cap, but they generally dont have a prob leaking that I know of.
I do not currently have a cap. The car did not have a cap on it when I purchased it.

AND

I can't seem to locate a cap anywhere, which is why I'm asking if anybody here knows where to get them, or another vehicle that uses the same size/style so I could take one from a junkyard.

Thanks.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”